• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kenballs

Suddenly Smoking

Kenballs

Hi all,

My brakes failed the other day and it turned out to be the master cylinder which I replaced. While I was trying to figure out the problem I was pumping the brakes to see if there was a leak, is there any chance brake fluid could have been sucked the through the servo vacuum pipe because now when I start the car it smokes way more than usual and it doesn't smell like oil or fuel. Once I take it for a spin the smoking stops. It's an mi engine and was fully reconditioned about 10,000 miles ago so I can't see any problem with the engine. Only other thing I can think of is maybe a split breather pipe. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Guest mjs87
Hi all,

My brakes failed the other day and it turned out to be the master cylinder which I replaced. While I was trying to figure out the problem I was pumping the brakes to see if there was a leak, is there any chance brake fluid could have been sucked the through the servo vacuum pipe because now when I start the car it smokes way more than usual and it doesn't smell like oil or fuel. Once I take it for a spin the smoking stops. It's an mi engine and was fully reconditioned about 10,000 miles ago so I can't see any problem with the engine. Only other thing I can think of is maybe a split breather pipe. Any ideas?

Cheers.

is it out of the exhaust or the bonnet??

Kenballs
is it out of the exhaust or the bonnet??

Out of the exhaust..

ablister

very much doubt brake fluid would transfer through the brake servo pipe as fluid doesn't go into the servo.

easy check will be to see if the fluid level is going down. You could also disconnect the servo pipe to see if it helps

Edited by ablister

Kenballs
very much doubt brake fluid would transfer through the brake servo pipe as fluid doesn't go into the servo

I wonder if a dodgy master cylinder could leak fluid into the servo? I didn't think to check that while I was changing it. That might explain it though.

Tom Fenton

A mate once had this on a Mini, brake fluid into the engine produces thick blue smoke.

Beastie
A mate once had this on a Mini, brake fluid into the engine produces thick blue smoke.

I've seen this happen too - when the servo seals fail brake fluid can get sucked into the vacuum pipe. Years ago (before new or exchange servos became so cheap) garages used to buy overhaul kits. It was amazingly common to take old servos to pieces and find brake fluid in the vacuum chamber.

Guest mjs87

funny i had smoke come out of my bonnet for a while when ever i came to a stop it just bellowed out of the bonnet thought i had a bad rad or somthing in the end i found out my the cap off of the brake fluid bottle wasnt sealing properly and when ever i braked it would spill on to my roker cover silly things like this you over look sorry it doesnt help you though cheers

davemar

Might just be some brake fluid on the exhaust manifold, that'll produce lots of smoke. I had that recently and I though my manifold had a bad crack, but it kept smoking after the engine was turned off. If you're sure there's no fluid actually leaking from anywhere now, just run the engine a while with the bonnet open and let it burn off.

trialster
Might just be some brake fluid on the exhaust manifold, that'll produce lots of smoke. I had that recently and I though my manifold had a bad crack, but it kept smoking after the engine was turned off. If you're sure there's no fluid actually leaking from anywhere now, just run the engine a while with the bonnet open and let it burn off.

it has already been mentioned that the smoke is coming out of the exhaust..

i had a big bellow of white smoke for a few mins the other day, dad reccons it was brake fluid leaking past the seals in the master cylinder also!

Dream Weaver

Take the servo vacuum pipe off and check for fluid inside it.

Mattsav

I nearly stripped an engine I'd just built years ago but suddenly noticed the smoking got a lot worse after braking heavily.

I doesn't take a lot of brake fluid to make a good smoke trail!

Sign in to follow this