• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Drilling The Side Of The Engine Block

vern

I am looking into, possibly drilling the back of my engine block, and welding on the oil return from my turbo, so I don't have to mess about putting a return onto the nice ally sump I have.

Only considering this option as I have the engine apart, so would be nice and easy to do, this would also allow the oil to return above the oil level, which is the prefered method of returning the oil to the sump from a turbo.

DamirGTI

Hello !

No need for drilling :) , you can use hole at the back of the block beneath the exhaust manifold for oil return from turbo back inside the sump (it's unused hole for some sort of oil sensor , just unscrew the plug and fabricate oil return pipework )

Picture158.jpg

Cheers ! :)

Damir

vern

Its the oil level sensor, I did try there but was not happy in the route, the pipe was not very direct. Also the size of the hole is to small.

Edited by vern

Peetypug

would it not be better/easier to drill the sump?

vern

I am putting on a finned ally sump, so would have to remove some of the fins to get the pipe welded on.

Just asking to see if this soloution, is possible as I have the engine apart.

cybernck

the hole Damir suggested is widely used amongst people turbocharging 205's (me included) and it works fine!

vern

When I tried it, the route the hose took was not the best, after the fitting and thread adapters were fitted, the hose ran uphill slightly, I also found the bore of the fitting I had to use quite small, I am running about a 16mm ID tube. Now the block is apart I suppose I could drill the hole larger and use a larger fitting or weld a small piece of tube in.

If you have a picture of how it is achieved that would be great Nick/damir.

DamirGTI

tt57um-1.jpg

tt36pt.jpg

Cheers :)

Damir

vern

Thanks for the pictures Damir.

How did you attach the hose to the block, did you use a screwed in fitting, or pipe welded to the block, did you enlarge the hole at all?.

DamirGTI

Hi !

Its not my engine i found those pictures years ago somewhere , can't remember where either :blush: ? sorry :)

Cheers ! :)

Damir

Sign in to follow this