• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ludders

205 Mi16 Maintenance/general Questions And Oil Recommendations

Ludders

Hi everyone, just purchased myself a miami blue 205 MI16 that has been restored by retro-revival. It's on their website if anyone fancies a look.

Virtually everything is new or rebuilt and the exterior is being finished off as we speak.

Basically I want to keep it in top condition and wondered if anyone had general advice on things to keep an eye on, parts to keep greased/lubricated. My mechanical knowledge is fairly basic but I can get by. Also what is generally the best oil for the MI16 (alloy), the engine has done 1000 miles, has had it's first change and it using Mobil 1 Semi Synthetic 10/40. I won't be doing track days so just average everyday driving (as average as 205gti driving gets). It also has a mocul oil cooler fitted with thermostatic sandwich plate, is this a good idea as I've read conflicting posts?

Not really on subject this but I've ordered driving lamps off the 205gtidrivers site, not o.e I know but are they good enough?

Any help is greatly appreciated, it's been a few years since my last GTI and I'm looking forward to enjoying a car I know hasn't been abused!

Cheers!

Rob_the_Sparky

If you want a car to remain showroom then you really need to keep it in one! Otherwise you follow the general servicing routines and spend you waking hours cleaning and polishing (someone people like doing this but it isn't my thing!).

Oil coolers really aren't necessary on the road for reasonably stock engines but are certainly required for the track. As yours has a thermostat on the snadwich plate it should be fine. The air/oil coolers fitted by pug had no thermostat so can be worse than not having one in cold weather plus they are really rather small anyway. My modded car runs without cooler (got annoyed with it leaking one day so took it off!) and apart from a run on the track it has never been in need of it.

Really the most important thing for preserving any car is to not drive it when the roads are salted...if that is an option.

James_R

If you're not tracking the car at all, then you're best off running the oil/water heater exchanger, will keep the oil in the right temp range pretty much all the time.

I've always used 10-40 and changed it regularly rather than opt'ing for lardy dar oil.

As Rob says best off avoiding salted roads, and to store it in a garage and give it a wash regularly.

Get some pics up sounds nice. :)

Ludders

Thanks for the replies. This car will be my daily drive so sadly I may end up driving on salted roads. I have ordered the undertray direct from Peugeot France to keep the muck out, this part was completely unobtainable in this country but I would of thought more people would of purchased one of these to keep water etc out.

So Mobil 1 10/40 semi synthetic will do the job? Anyone got any other recommendations? Also how often should the oil be changed on this motor?

If anyone wants to see work in progress the link is http://www.retro-revival.co.uk/chrismi16.html. However the new owner is me Mike! New pictures will start to be added as the re-spray takes place, three weeks and counting!

yorkshirekowboy
Thanks for the replies. This car will be my daily drive so sadly I may end up driving on salted roads. I have ordered the undertray direct from Peugeot France to keep the muck out, this part was completely unobtainable in this country but I would of thought more people would of purchased one of these to keep water etc out.

So Mobil 1 10/40 semi synthetic will do the job? Anyone got any other recommendations? Also how often should the oil be changed on this motor?

If anyone wants to see work in progress the link is http://www.retro-revival.co.uk/chrismi16.html. However the new owner is me Mike! New pictures will start to be added as the re-spray takes place, three weeks and counting!

im loving the pictures, my mi16 looks the same colour, but ull find the matt black paint on your block will peel, as the alloy will produce a white powder as it is breathing, as mine is. but it does finish it off. What paint you used on your rocker cover????????, looks very glossy but a texture finish. looks nice

jackherer

Thats a nice looking conversion but I reckon the missing lead cover and the brake servo vacuum hose and the fuel return hose make it look a lot less tidy than it actually is, if the hoses are lengthened and routed so they don't cross the rocker cover and a lead cover is fitted it will look a lot better IMO.

Chris8V%20(21)%20(Medium).JPG

Ludders
Thats a nice looking conversion but I reckon the missing lead cover and the brake servo vacuum hose and the fuel return hose make it look a lot less tidy than it actually is, if the hoses are lengthened and routed so they don't cross the rocker cover and a lead cover is fitted it will look a lot better IMO.

Chris8V%20(21)%20(Medium).JPG

I've only owned it for a week now and it's away having the paint done so I'm yet to tidy up any obvious bits. Do you know where I could buy a lead cover from?

jackherer
Do you know where I could buy a lead cover from?

I don't know if they will hold stock but peugeot still list them for less than £12!

0000597978 HARNESS PROTECT 10.12 GBP 11.89 GBP 11.89 GBP

C_W

Yea that return fuel hose will be sat over severe heat from the exhaust manifold, they normally keep to the side of rhe engine bay and to the fuel rail.

Ludders

Cheers for the advice. I'll get both pipes sorted whilst it's in the garage. I'll post pics up once the whole job is finished.

Anyone got any advice on oil recommendations for the MI16 and how regularly it should be changed?

Sign in to follow this