• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fast Road Jay

Carb Troubles On A Cj

Fast Road Jay

my sister has recently bought a little 1.4 CJ which we are doing up alongside my GTI mods but it was bought stolen recovered from a scrappy and it has been bodged about a bit! it has a running problem where it wont idle or run at low revs and it runs seriously rich, i think it is a flooding problem but having gone through the carb twice i cant see a problem until.............. as you'll see in the following pics the fuel system has been played with, i spotted a pipe with a bolt in it next too the fuel inlet pipe, i think its a fuel return pipe that has been blanked off, so i started looking a bit closer and i found a sort of fuel resevoir pot with 3 outlets / inlets on it, at the moment the fuel from the tank goes through the pump and straight to the carb but i think it should be going through the resevoir with 1 pipe in from the pump, one outlet to the carb and 1 fuel return, i am thinking the reason it is running so rich is at idle the fuel pump is supplying too much fuel and with no return pipe it is forcing past the contorl needle and flooding constantly! any help would be greatly appreciated.

THE RESEVOIR THAT IS NOT CONECTED BUT MOUNTED NEXT TO THE CARB:

Image001.jpg

AS YOU CAN SEE IT GOES STRAIGHT FROM THE PUMP / FPR TO THE CARB:

Image002-1.jpg

OVERVIEW:

Image003.jpg

Edited by Fast Road Jay

Sandy

The return is definitely there for a reason!

kanyeost

Any help?

tucarb2.jpg

Jrod

It's weird.

On 5 Xs's none of them had that return, only the XE I bought did. :ph34r:

Fast Road Jay

kanyeost your a star!!!!!! does anyone know if the return simply runs alongside the inlet, the only thing im wondering is if some did and some didnt then maybe the CJ has had an engine swap and didnt originally have the return and then got an engine from a car that did :wub: either way im gonna try setting it up like kanyeost's one and just feed the return into a fuel can or something :blink:

RossD

I think you could be on the right track with your engine swap theory, akaik the CJ never came with the TU3S lump only the cooking 1.4 model with the single choke carb. (That is unless its a later TU3F model with the Solex twin choke....) What year is the car?

Fast Road Jay

its on a J-plate and the carb / set up is identicle to kanyeosd

Jrod

Check if the tank has a return.

Under the rear seats there is a large black plastic cover. If it has 2 pipes going into the tank then you know its right, if not ditch the whole swirl pot setup.

joe1joe

heres my xs (tu3s) mines mounted diffrently, and both fuel lines run down the passengers side, and u can use 8mm copper pipe which is what I done, and mine also has the one way valve aswel, and i have got a tank if u need one.

Pug139.jpg

Fast Road Jay

hmmm looks like the same setup just different lay out, gonna try it like i said before and if it works i will sort out a return of some sort!

Sign in to follow this