• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
averyaaron1979

Lightweight Bumpers

averyaaron1979

unfortunately i own and preparing a 309 gti for track and sprint work, i have asked on the other forums to try and establish where i can get a set of lighter bumpers for front and rear which are slightly larger than the originals.

i am not after anything to elaborate as they will not be looked after that well on the track with all the planned abuse.

i am trying to drop the wight of the 309 to in the 800 kilos range and with some ideas i have planned ie fibrglass wings,bonnet, custom made tailgate i don't see the point in sticking with the original bumpers........

if i can't find ones i shall have to develope the originals further and make some fibreglass versions, but that's a fair amount of work to be undertaken

also does anyone know a set of rallye arches or a dealer to get them. there was a thread running on the forum but it seems to have died a death with no updates, i was just after a basic set to extend the arches out for her.....

i shall start a thread soon and explain all the work that has been done and planned for her

Paintguy

I can't help with the bumpers, apart from suggesting you try and make your own, but a good man to talk to about other weight savings might be Chris Penrose [309PUG on here]. His 309 is nicely under 800Kgs :D

averyaaron1979
I can't help with the bumpers, apart from suggesting you try and make your own, but a good man to talk to about other weight savings might be Chris Penrose [309PUG on here]. His 309 is nicely under 800Kgs :D

paintguy cheers for that i shall try that, he's got a 309 under 800. that's good.

i would love mine to get that low but i am happy with mid to low 800 at best! just want it lighter to help the engine that i shall try set up!!

can't make my mind up over an 8v or mi as i shall have one of each!

Paintguy

Well he has an 8V in his, but it's not exactly standard - to say the least, lol.

Search YouTube under his real name, and you'll find it in action.

averyaaron1979
Well he has an 8V in his, but it's not exactly standard - to say the least, lol.

Search YouTube under his real name, and you'll find it in action.

ah i know the 309 now, have watched it before.

i shall have to find out what he's done to get the weight so low as i may be around the same sort of weight if i stick with a 8v.

weejimmy

i think i have fiberglass tailgate for a 309 and a headlight panel.if i dont, i definatly have moulds for one as part of a kit.mayby some other parts too like doors but im not 100% shure. definatly got moulds for bonnet

Henry Yorke

GSF bumpers are generally flimsier and therefore lighter

weejimmy

i think the kit i have has bumpers too. but they are wider than standerd as its from a wide arch kit.

its amazing what you forget you have.

averyaaron1979
i think i have fiberglass tailgate for a 309 and a headlight panel.if i dont, i definatly have moulds for one as part of a kit.mayby some other parts too like doors but im not 100% shure. definatly got moulds for bonnet

ah right that sounds good, are you going to use the items at all??

at the moment i am after anything that sounds like i can lose the weight out of the 309!! the lighter the better really! shame i can't do the same for the co-driver!! :D

averyaaron1979

henry thanks for that i shall take a look, but i was trying to get slightly larger bumpers than standard.

felix2566

Jimmy, do you have any more info on the FG parts that you have been talking about? Are you using the moulds to make parts or just have them? If you are selling any of the parts I would be interested in them.

weejimmy

i just have then

i made a couple of bonnets but that was all.

ill go see what there is>

weejimmy

ok there is

front bumper looks oe but wider to fit wide arch

bonnet oe

front pannel headlight bit

wide wide front wings

side skirts

wide wide rear 1/4's (these are replacement not stick on by the looks)

tailgate oe

and another bit that im not to shure about.

its from a race car so im not shure of quality. that dosent mean its crap just im not shure. the bonnets were ok

Miles

You only need to take the inner bumpers out the skin weigh's nothing so a F/G one will weigh allot more, Make the bumper irons/mounts out of Alloy, bu the thing over a 205 is the rear tailgate glass, ditch this and there won;t be much in it

Have a search for the old 8v turbo chaminship in france as these had all sorts of nice bits on

averyaaron1979
You only need to take the inner bumpers out the skin weigh's nothing so a F/G one will weigh allot more, Make the bumper irons/mounts out of Alloy, bu the thing over a 205 is the rear tailgate glass, ditch this and there won;t be much in it

Have a search for the old 8v turbo chaminship in france as these had all sorts of nice bits on

miles i have already stripped the internals out of the front bumper before re-fitting and made two alloy brackets, but it's just doesn't seem very to allow enough air through, but then again i may just be thinking daft.

i have had a look at the turbo cup 309 from france and the spec, i believe the parts are still available but it's silly money to get the bits over here! shame really.

did think about wider arches, just in case i lowered her on larger slicks. good idea or not?

averyaaron1979

miles reference the tailgate, it weighs around 35 kilos for the 309 and a major weight contributor for the overall weight, which is why i was searching to find one or taking the task of having to build one from scratch with the original door as a mould!!

a big task but i am after losing as much weight as i can on the car, but then all i would have left is the doors and wings, but this is dependant on how much wieght i would save overall to whether i get fibreglass versions.

aaron

pug_ham

Not if the one I got last week, one of the only two rear bumpers left within the company afaik & tehyhave already sold out of fronts with no intention of restocking them.

This one is almost as good as standard Peugeot quality, they seem to have sold all the flimsy ones they had a few years ago.

Aftermarket copies are available but you need to find somewhere willing to order them in & let you reject them if they aren't what you want.

Graham.

felix2566

Jimmy, do you have nay pictures of these parts?

Baz

The PTS 309 kit i had had a slightly larger but OE looking front bumper, and is very light itself, but no doubt they're quite rare.

KRISKARRERA

Is there any metal you can remove from the original bumper?

averyaaron1979
Is there any metal you can remove from the original bumper?

kris all i have left on the bumper is the plastic as i took out the metal bumper itsel anf attach it by a couple of brackets.... but it looks shabby really

i was after a set like what you're on about baz, got offered a set but too slow to catch them! i am after a bigger than oe front bumper that i can get to weigh not a great deal to be honest!! doesn't have to look briliant but work.

Sign in to follow this