• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scoot

Cam Identification!

Guest Scoot

Have just changed the cam in my 1.6, and upon removing the old one and comparing with the one I have bought, visualy they seem different.

I can't find any way of formaly identifying which one is which as there are no part numbers on either, just casting marks. (1.6 and 1.9 made from the same castings I believe??)

I need to be sure that the cam I am putting in is to the standard 1.6 dimentions.

The one I took out had chamfered lobes, and the one I put in doesn't. Can they still be the same or should this lead me to believe that they are infact different?

Please help, any information is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Scott.

gti-si

Scott, im 99% positive that it's a 1.6 camshaft. Im unsure to why it is different in appearance. Is there anyway you can measure the lift or see any marking on the cam it's self? Like I say, im 99% positive but obviously would be nice to know for definate to prevent any problems with your driving board! If anyone could throw some light on the differences (visual if possible) between a 1.6 and 1.9 or even variations in camshaft over the years that would be very helpfull

Guest Scoot
Scott, im 99% positive that it's a 1.6 camshaft. Im unsure to why it is different in appearance. Is there anyway you can measure the lift or see any marking on the cam it's self? Like I say, im 99% positive but obviously would be nice to know for definate to prevent any problems with your driving board! If anyone could throw some light on the differences (visual if possible) between a 1.6 and 1.9 or even variations in camshaft over the years that would be very helpfull

Si, the original cam in my engine had chamfered edges on the lobes, from an '85 XU. Now I have just taken the cam cover off a spare 1.6 enigne I had (newer than '85), and the lobes aren't chamfered the same as the one I had off you.

I'm guessing the later (or replacement) 1.6 cams didnt have chamfered lobes so I'm going with that explanation lol!

Don't worry, maybe someone can give us some more information on how to differentiate between the 1.6 and the 1.9.

Sign in to follow this