• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

Broken It Again!

fulani

Driving to work this morning, the temp gauge is fluctuating all over the place. Oil pressure gauge is not working, so can't check that.

There is a small amount of heat coming through the vents, so heater matrix is OK. Very thin scraping of white in the oil filler, no worse than I've seen on a perfectly healthy engine.

I took the coolant filler off, and it exploded hot air all over me, with a little bit of water. It then gurgled for a while, no obvious leaks. There is water left in the header tank, but not much.

I have had the inlet manifold (and therefore coolant) replaced recently. Reckon it's just an airlock? Or something more sinister? Thermostat? Head gasket? Ah!!

fulani

...any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I'm thinking top it up with some water, and see what happens?

rallyeluke
...any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I'm thinking top it up with some water, and see what happens?

sounds like airlock to me. did you bleed in the correct order with heaters on full blast while filling?

fulani

Didn't bleed anything, it just gurgled a lot. I assume the bleed points are in the Haynes manual??

yorkshirekowboy

deffo a air block, get it sorted thou as his can lead to head gasket failure, trust me :lol: i only find youonly need to bleed the near the bulk head, right of brake servo, the thermostat housing seems to sort itself. :rolleyes:

Edited by surferkid205

Peetypug

if you dont have a haynes manual try here for a download

manual downloads

you will need chapter 3

Edited by sorrentopete

Miles

Fill it up and bleed it off but 205's are pretty good for not needing much of this at all, When it's filled back up check to see if there's any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running, if not the HG should be OK, Is the oil level OK? Mayo in the oil cap?

fulani
Fill it up and bleed it off but 205's are pretty good for not needing much of this at all, When it's filled back up check to see if there's any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running, if not the HG should be OK, Is the oil level OK? Mayo in the oil cap?

Oil level is fine, as I said, a thin layer of white in the oil cap, but no worse than I've seen on otherwise healthy engines.

I'll run it halfway home, check and top up as necessary, and properly bleed it tomorrow.

fulani

Made it all the way home, faultlessly. Even stuck in 2 hours of traffic (anyone else stuck on the A34/M3 today?) it was fine. No water lost on the journey. Looks like I was getting worried about nothing. Cheers for the advice!

fulani

Right, I think the air lock explosion has holed the heater matrix. Let me explain.

There's water in the driver's side footwell. Carpet is soaking. I have just been to the car wash though, could be a leaky door seal?

Stereo has been playing up the last couple of days, it's an old tape unit anyway, so take it to Halfords to get a nice new Bluetooth CD playing one fitted. The guy (free fitting) gets the old head unit out of it, and it's soaking. The ISO adaptor is wet and corroded. Everything in the now vacant slot is wet.

Weird thing is, very little water (if any) has been lost from the header tank, and passenger footwell is dry as a bone.

Current plan is - let mats and footwell dry out in garage, take car for a spin in the dry with the heater on. Check for dampness. If none, take car back to carwash. Check for dampness.

So I reckon that will tell me if it's the heater matrix, or a weatherseal leak. Good plan?

Super Josh

Well if the stereo is wet then that's a telltale sign that the heater matrix is leaking.

Josh

fulani
Well if the stereo is wet then that's a telltale sign that the heater matrix is leaking.

Josh

That's what I thought, but no water has been lost from the header tank.

Gah, whoever said retro dailies were a good idea? :D

applemobile

best way to tell were a fluid is from is to taste it! i presume you used a 50% coolant mix, its gonna taste pretty strongly off antifreeze if it is. If its from a jet wash, it should taste like refreshers im my expirience! ;)

McPikie
its gonna taste pretty strongly off antifreeze if it is.

_44363573_knight203.jpg

Mr Knight says nooooooo to antifreeze in the mouth

fulani

I'm not tasting that - it's picked up 20 years of carpet dirt!

GLPoomobile
I'm not tasting that - it's picked up 20 years of carpet dirt!

I'm sure my wife said that to me when we'd just started going out.

Peetypug
I'm sure my wife said that to me when we'd just started going out.

or you said it about her "rug" ;)

Sign in to follow this