• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DjB

More Cam Questions

DjB

I'm looking at a Piper P16BP285. Piper suggests bigger injectors for this. Thats cool but they make no mention about the engine management. Is it just a given that the std management system wont cope with the above mentioned cam? I would really prefer to stick with factory brains. I'm in a strange position where I have an after market management system that I could use but the cost involved in just getting a loom made up is pretty much on par with buying a twin 45mm Weber setup.

So, how far can you take the factory computer? Could you run the cam, a higher flowing afm and bigger injectors without disrupting the ecu? If what I'm saying is total rubbish can someone please set me straight.

I have searched this and haven't found anything.. Are there places that can re-map std ecu's?

Thanks

Chris

petert

Your std. injectors are capable of 180hp. You'll be lucky if you get to 160-165hp. The problem with the Jetronic is that it isn't programmable. It uses a series of resistors to adjust the mixtures for various situations. In addition, the AFM can't cope with long duration cams, giving very poor idle results. The Motronic is programmable however. I can help you if you have one of those. Although the AFM will still be an issue.

Your biggest issue is the ignition mapping. Difficult with the Jetronic as it's all mechanical in the dizzy, but easy to change in the Motronic.

Take the time to fit the aftermarket ECU. It allows you to dump the AFM and gives unlimited control.

What's wrong with Australian cams?

Edited by petert

DjB

Yeah......

Thats what I've been thinking. Who in Australia is making good 205GTI cams? I've been searching and I'm struggling. I think I'll probably end up getting a big cam with my Wolf3D...... Cheers for the help.

Chris

petert
Who in Australia is making good 205GTI cams?

www.taylor-eng.com

DjB

I only saw 16V stuff...... I can only assume he does 8V stuff..... admittedly I only had a quick read through the site but he sure knows his stuff

Chris

petert

He does 8V stuff as well but doesn't advertise it. Give me call..............0400 307 166.

DrSarty
I only saw 16V stuff...... I can only assume he does 8V stuff..... admittedly I only had a quick read through the site but he sure knows his stuff

Chris

:unsure: That's because PeterT IS "taylor-eng.com"!

I have a stage 1 16v regrind cam from Pete and can certainly vouch for its performance and his ability to help you.

Edited by DrSarty

DjB

Opppppssssssss..

I'm feeling like a bit of dumb ass now.........

I'll certain call you.... Thanks for the help..

Chris

sandgroper
Opppppssssssss..

I'm feeling like a bit of dumb ass now.........

I'll certain call you.... Thanks for the help..

Chris

Vouch from me too.

No need to go OS for what your after, if he doesn't know ( it ain't worth knowing )

Peter Perfect has lots of patience, he just goes quiet if you start talking rubbish. His Perfect Prior Planning Promotes Powerful Performance. :)

Sign in to follow this