• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
isub

Timing Belt Problem

isub

Hi people.

Ive just come round to fitting a new timing belt to my 1.9, after struggling to removing the old one on Sunday.

Everything has gone back togther fine, its tensioned up and the dowels still fit the timing holes.

I have removed the flywheel locking tool.

Now the problem is i have gone to turn the crankshaft pulley a couple of turns and it will not budge, i'm literally standing on a long bar and it

will not rotate!!!

I did drain the coolent out on Sunday too, and the pully was moving fine then (obviously as i had to line up the timing holes)

Any help please, im now getting worried that the engine has siezed!!!!! :)

Blueeyes

Did you change your water pump at the same time ?

isub

I shouldnt be allowed near the mechanics of a car!!!

I'd put the two bolts that hold the lower belt cover back in for safe keeping.......and they were stoping the crankshaft pulley from moving :unsure:

My god had i done the pulley bolt up tight trying to turn the engine!!!!

I've bent the two cover bolts nicely!!

Anyone want me to change there timing belt drop me a line!!! I do wheel cheeeep pwice!!! :lol:

j_turnell

Theres a few people round kettering mate that im sure could give you a hand, i would but at uni at the mo, keep an eye out from Alastairh on here, he may well be able to help you out if hes not busy.

Alastairh
I shouldnt be allowed near the mechanics of a car!!!

I'd put the two bolts that hold the lower belt cover back in for safe keeping.......and they were stoping the crankshaft pulley from moving :)

My god had i done the pulley bolt up tight trying to turn the engine!!!!

I've bent the two cover bolts nicely!!

Anyone want me to change there timing belt drop me a line!!! I do wheel cheeeep pwice!!! :lol:

Lol. It could be worse.

A friend of mine had a rebuilt 8v and had used the car for 2000 miles. Popped to the ring and back all fine. But once in the uk the engine "seized". Couldn't work out why as it still had oil in it etc, stripped the bottom end and it looked tidy. So took the engine out undone the pulley to find them 2 bolts had come loose and seized the engine just like you had.

Hard way of finding out :lol:

But yeah, if you have any problems mate, feel free to drop me a pm.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

isub
Lol. It could be worse.

A friend of mine had a rebuilt 8v and had used the car for 2000 miles. Popped to the ring and back all fine. But once in the uk the engine "seized". Couldn't work out why as it still had oil in it etc, stripped the bottom end and it looked tidy. So took the engine out undone the pulley to find them 2 bolts had come loose and seized the engine just like you had.

Hard way of finding out :rolleyes:

But yeah, if you have any problems mate, feel free to drop me a pm.

Al

Cheers for that, the way i'm going i may need to take you up on that!!

Chris

Sign in to follow this