• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Theo205

Cooling System Flushing Tips?

Theo205

A couple of days ago a had a problem when the gasket on the thermostat housing went bad and resulted into oil and water mixing together.

Now Ive fixed that and put everything back... But Ive tried for hours to get rid of the slime in the cooling system and IT JUST WONT GO...

After I warm it up and take it for a spin the expansion tank looks like this mHELLMANS_MAYONNAISE-opt.jpg

I was told it will need some time to clean but I thought you lads might know any easy way to flush the pugs guts?

Thanx

Theo

Mikey S

i find adding a bottle of washing up liquid to the expansion bottle then running it around usually cleans it out.

welshpug

I find using cooling system flush does the trick...

saveloy
i find adding a bottle of washing up liquid to the expansion bottle then running it around usually cleans it out.

Oooooooh the bubbles!

KRISKARRERA

My radiator was low recently and I topped it up with a half bottle of spring water from in my car and then realised it was what was left of the soluble Solpadeine tablet drink I'd made the other day! :( At least the engine won't get HEADaches now :ph34r:

jackherer
My radiator was low recently and I topped it up with a half bottle of spring water from in my car

Spring (mineral) water is really bad for coolant systems, all the minerals will furr it up loads :(

KRISKARRERA

What's best to use then? The tap water in this area is jam packed full of chalk, kills showers, dishwashers, kettles etc in no time unless you filter the water.

jackherer

Distilled water.

jackherer

Or buy a reverse osmosis filter, if your water is that bad then it could be useful for more than your coolant system.

KRISKARRERA

We've got one of these: http://www.h2onics.co.uk/ (first pic in the link page). Seemed to work very well.

What's the water like in Cyprus Theo? I'm sure it makes all the women up for some lovin' :(

jackherer

The one on the bottom right of that page is a reverse osmosis filter. Anything that filters water has to be better than tap water but make sure the thing you have isn't a water softener that adds more stuff to the water. It looks like a magnetic thing which should be fine for use in your coolant system.

Sign in to follow this