• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BamBamGTI

Intermittent Starting Problem

BamBamGTI

Hi, got a weird starting problem. Running an'89 1.9 8v with laserline immobiliser. Car usually starts fine first time from cold, but when I have been on a short drive (enough to warm her up) and stop the engine and try to start her again - nothing. The dash lights all come on and I can hear the fuel pump but the car doesn't turn over at all. Then if I leave the car for 20 - 30 minutes and try to start her again she starts up first time, no problem. I suspect it could be a corroded connection on the starter or problem with the wiring for the immobiliser. Any ideas?

Also, if I leave the car for 3-4 days without driving her or starting the battery is dead. Dodgy battery? (only 2 years old) or dodgy alternator? Need help here cause I just don't trust the car to start anymore and the gf is getting sick of getting stuck in tescos car park when we go shopping!

Duroc

The switched live feed to the solenoid ontop of the starter (the small wire with a spade terminal) could be the issue. Whether it's just a dodgy connection or the immobiliser is causing problems in that circuit, you'll have to investigate. But begin by taking it off the solenoid and checking it with a multimeter whilst turning the key.

luggy

From what you describe your best course of action is to get either a new/known good battery, if the new battery loses its charge after 3/4 days then you've got either an issue with the alternator or you immobiliser is drainining it.

If the starter motor doesnt click then read on. I had a similar intermittant starting problem on my 1.9, known good battery and new starter motor, I'd bypassed the brown multiplug. Again still the same problem you describe I even changed the ignition barrel thinking it was a wiring issue no change.

It wasnt until I connected a seperate wire from what Duroc said, the live feed to the solenoid spade connector, which is on top of the starter.

Then whenever I had the starting problem pop the bonnet, leave the ignition on and make sure its in neutral!, touch that seperate wire to + on the battery and the car would start every time. (If your car doesnt start doing this method then you have a problem with either the battery or starter motor).

The problem with mine was the tachymetric relay which was faulty, give this a few friendly whacks and eventually the car will start.

lotus205

almost identical problem as I had, like duroc says the solinoide looks to be the problem either the spade connector on it or at that bloody brown multi plug at the other end of the same cable, both corrode and give poor connections replace and give it all a good grease

Rob_the_Sparky

Stock 205 starting problem but has a number of causes:

1) Duff starter (solenoid)

2) Duff wiring, but this can be in many locations. Seen it blamed on all sorts of things...did some testing on one of mine and it certainly wasn't anything described here. Trouble was I got bored and bypassed the lot with a new wire, never had a problem again with that car...

Could also be a combination of the above. As it is temperature dependent then the starter certainly isn't perfect but it may be only the starter at fault or starter and wiring.

Rob

BamBamGTI

thanks guys, ill give your suggestions a go when its not raining or dark (doesn't look likely anytime soon!) and let you know what happened...

BamBamGTI

Had a look at the connections to the starter (spade) connector and the multiplug and found alot of corrosion. Gave the points a bit of a clean with baking soda, but they still look f*cked. I also looked at the immobiliser connections and found a spade running to a small fuse box which had a really loose connection (when i pulled the wiring down to look, it fell out). I suspect this was the actual fault causing my problem, but upon reconnecting every thing the car would turn over but wouldn't start. I guess the multiplug connection may still be wet so ill try again in a few hours or give it a blast with a hairdryer!

Heres some pics for anyone who needs to find the multiplug or spade...

multiplugcn1.jpg

spaderd2.jpg

immobilzw5.jpg

BamBamGTI

turns out it was the fact i took out the old factory alarm, which broke the ignition circuit - doh!

kyepan

a simple way to assess if its the starter or not, is to take a wire from the live battery terminal to the starter spade, touch the spade and the car should start. (assuming the imobiliser is off) if thats ok. be careful as anything you touch may spark, you don't want to fry anthing.

once your sure its not the starter,

get it nice warm and not starting and check the voltage at the spade terminal when you turn the key, to check the voltage (check this as i'm not sure) put the positive on the spade, and the negative on a ground point.

then if the voltage is too low, replace the wire and spade connector & rewire the multiplug.

hope this helps.

j

Sign in to follow this