• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ricky1.9

Mounting Bucket Seats

ricky1.9

I'm re-shelling my track car and was wondering how other people have mounted their bucket seats.

I have seen some attempts and I have done it in my old shell but would just like to see more ideas.

Cheers

O, i will try to add some photo's of how I have previously done it.

Baz

Lots of depending factors, the seats and how they mount, what you use the car for etc etc...

smighall

Side mount or base mount?

ifcho

Here is how I made mine:

IMG_1716.JPG

The seat is base mounted sparco sprint. I welded 3mm steel plates on the body and then two rectangular pipes (20x40mm) accross. On top of them there are two more, welded to the first ones, with holes for adjusting the seat (forward/back). Height adjustment can be made by adding shims.

It's quite heavy though :)

daveyboyblack

Mine's pretty much the same as ifcho's above, except that it's currently quite thin steel plate as the previous owner wanted the seat as low as possible.

I'd recommend the above method but make sure you use box section for strength. I'm going to re-do mine similar to ifcho's above.

This obviously only really applies to base mount seats tho.

ricky1.9

Yeah sorry feel a right wally now. Meant to say side mounted Cobra Imola's I think.

Is going to be used as a Trackcar. Maybe as a sprintcar/hillclimb car if I ever get my arse in gear.

Yeah I also want it as low as possible really (lower centre of gravity and all that).

ricky1.9

The trouble i had with getting it lower was that teh width of the seat on its mounts and keeping it directly in front of steering wheel without moving left or right .

Looking at yours ifcho, looks really beefy. That is the sort of idea I'm looking for.

The way I have done it looks very girly compared Ifcho's. Think ally angle instead of Steel box. Try and get a pic later.

Tom Fenton

There was a thread on this very subject less than a month ago if you have a look. Here is how I did my car.

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

It seats you very low, so you now look like a 12yr old when driving about.

ricky1.9

Looks really good that Tom. A fair bit of fabrication though including the tunnel. May have to go down this route.

Have you welded angle straight to the tunnel?

Dont suppose you know where that thread is? I have had a look but no luck.

Cheers

Tom Fenton

Folded some angle section up and then let it into the tunnel yes. The main thing that limits you is the "bulges" in the standard tunnel. With these still in place either you sit higher up, or you sit lower but off to one side. I don't like sitting offset or too high hence doing what we (me and my mate Phil) did.

Have a search for "mounting seats" or similar, it wasn't long ago. Can't remember any more detail sorry.

jackherer

I've considered doing something like that a couple of times in the past but just haven't had the time. I need to redo the mounts in my own 205 so I might be copying that as it looks perfect :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ifcho
There was a thread on this very subject less than a month ago if you have a look. Here is how I did my car.

It seats you very low, so you now look like a 12yr old when driving about.

very nice looking indeed, but I have one question, how are you moving the seat back/forward or is this setup for a side mounted seat?

Tom Fenton

The side mount brackets have a series of holes drilled in them to allow forwards/backwards and up/down adjustment. The car is shared between me and my mate so the seating position is a compromise to allow it to fit us both.

Here is the best picture I can find of the seats in the car, picture tells a thousand words etc.

DSC00231.jpg

Be warned that if you do go down that route it will take at least a full day to do both sides, also be prepared to be shocked, as with the bulges cut out, before you weld the angles in, it all goes floppy!

ifcho

Yes, I thought it was for side mounted. I'm with base mounted seat, so I'll stick with the "system" I made :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification.

jackherer

If you're happy with the height of your seats then stick with what you have done but Toms mounts would be fine for base mounted seats that sit too high as well. The car I considered doing that to most recently had a side mounted drivers seat and a base mounted passenger seat and I used the same bars for both and would have liked both a bit lower.

ricky1.9

Here are some pics of how I mounted the seats in my old shell. Some may think its not strong enough but it has been and no trouble so far.

http://eyeoat415.blogspot.com/

there are 3 photos of the seat mounting on here can been seen closer by clicking on the image.

The second one shows how the alloy bracket is stiil at a right angle and hasn't suffered from the weight.

Sign in to follow this