• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shooter mcgavin

How Much Loom Do I Need ()

shooter mcgavin

i took the engine loom and ecu out last week

but after doing a few serches on here i decided to take the rest of the loom out.

just wondering what to chop off?

do i only need from the 2 roung plugs and about 1.5m of cable to reach the brown multi plugs in the 205?

6loom.jpg

moreloom.jpg

loom2.jpg

^^^^^^^^

this part?

shooter mcgavin
:rolleyes: sorry, this is a 306 gti6 loom for my 205

pug_ham

It depends how you choose to do the conversion.

You can take all the wires needed out of the 306 loom round plugs & just join the required wires suitably extended to the 205 under dash brown plugs keeping the original 205 sensor & starter / alternator wire loom or find the corresponding wires in the GTi-6 loom, keep the plugs & enough extra wire to join to the 205 loom brown plugs. Sensor loom & all.

Personally I'd just keep the few remaining wires from the GTi-6 loom (removed from the back of the plugs) & use / extend the original wires from the 205 where possible.

If you strip the 205 loom down you can use wires to the coil for the ignition switched feed & rev counter signal wire (although you also need a suitable rev counter to work with the digital ecu fed signal).

Graham.

shooter mcgavin

god wiring is not my strong point, so for now i have pulled the 205 engine loom back through into the car.

i have removed the old ecu,dropped the coloum and found the 2 multi plugs.

all the sensor wires are still on the 306 engine so is it now a case of extend the 306 loom into the car under the dash and join the wires up to the brown plugs.

any1 got pics??

got a chart saying what each wire does on 205 plugs and 306 loom just want to make sure i have the right end of the plugs.

do i need to keep the big ecu plug and wires from the 205

sorry for being so stupid just trying to get my head around this.

pug_ham
do i need to keep the big ecu plug and wires from the 205

No, the only wires you need from that for connecting are the fuel pump wire from the tachymetric relay plug & the rev counter wire which goes to the coil.

Its best to seperate the looms from your 205 to get the sensor loom seperate & find the wires you need to cut fromthe ecu plug as mentioned above.

Then you can either join the original 205 sensor wires to the 306 loom or keep them seperate & cut those wires out of the 306 loom so you just keep all wirs related to the ecu & running of the car.

Graham.

shooter mcgavin

thanks for that,think i'am starting to get somewhere

i have storted all the wires from the big brown plug but the 6 pin only has 5 wires on it,so far i have found tacho, fuel pump and k light,i am left with a thick yellow/green and small red?is 1 of these the starter wire?

the next problem i have is the wires from the big plug from the 306 loom has no numbers on them??????

will need to look at the end that is still with the engine next time i'am at the garage see if it has numbers, i am working with the plug and 1m of loom as in the pics above

i knew the wiring would test my skills but am looseing faith now :unsure:

pug_ham

The starter wire is usually blue on the 205 loom (#46B). The 306 loom wires should have some numbers on them but they are nowhere as clear & easy to make out as the 205 loom. :unsure:

An easy way to find several of them is with a multimeter & go round each pin on the plugs to find the other end of them.

You should be able to find the starter solenoid wire (small ring terminal) which is a single wire grouped in a bunh with a blue plug, yellow plug & black/blue plug not far from the brown plug on the 306 loom. (before it splits into the main loom)

The alternator excite wire is similar but on the main loom away from the ecu plug next to a large ring terminal which is your main power feed/ permanent live connector.

Can you see any numbers on the thick yellow & green wire on the 205 plug?

Graham.

shooter mcgavin

i think i will go take some pics today and lat you see the wires i'am working with.

the starter wire i can pick up from under the dash as for the thick yellow it has M something on it,think this is an earth,if so can i just erath this anywhere or will it have to go to the 306 loom? :)

i'll need to find a list of what each pin on the 19 pin plug does thats the only way i will be able to test the wires against the plug

try get the pics up later today

cheers

graham.

shooter mcgavin

205mounts006.jpg

thick yellow i think is earth/

not sure about thick red

should have . i have got.

1.coolant fliud level wire 47b

2.fuel pump wire 76 2. wire 76

3.coolant fliud wire M47B

4.rpm meter wire 112 4.wire 112

5.k-light wire74 5.wire 74

6.starter motor wire 46

that leaves me with

wire 32a-yellow

wire m -yelllow/green

wire 2a thick red

is 1 of these the starter?

no idea where the coolant wires are

pug_ham

None of those in the lower picture are the starter solenoid wires, that should be blue, numbered 46B & in the other brown plug under the dash along with all the sensor wires. which you listed above the last three.

The main feed to the starter & alternator comes from the battery positiiove terminal.

Wire 32A(yellow) is a switched postive that originally went to the tachyetric relay on the 8v management system & wire 2A (thick red) went to the coil plug.

The coolant wires should run through the sensor loom to the brown multiplug in the engin ebay 7 then to the two sensor for the guages on the back of the thermostat housing on the 8v head.

Thick yellow & green is an earth.

Graham.

gti-si

Just to hijack for a post. Are switched lives specific or are they all the same? I've never done any car wiring before this so unsure. How many other switched lives come through the bulkhead? If you the wire numbers that would be very helpfull!

shooter mcgavin
:ph34r: i have removed all the 8v sensor loom is this going to cause problems

pug_ham
Just to hijack for a post. Are switched lives specific or are they all the same? I've never done any car wiring before this so unsure. How many other switched lives come through the bulkhead? If you the wire numbers that would be very helpfull!

The main swicthed live that runs thorugh the bulkhead & is used on a conversion such as this is wire 2A for the coil but in truth there are a couple of other switched lives that run through the bulkhead. All the sensor wires are really switched lives afaik as they work on resistance through the various sensors for the guages they feed back to.

:D i have removed all the 8v sensor loom is this going to cause problems

It shouldn't cause any problems but it is often easier (especially if its your first conversion) to leave it in place to avoid any confusion or crossed connections onto you donor loom.

Graham.

shooter mcgavin

ok cheers fella, this is my 1st time trying anything like this

i'll let you know how i get on as the engine is going in at the weekend

fingers crossed

whizzer71
205mounts006.jpg

thick yellow i think is earth/

not sure about thick red

should have . i have got.

1.coolant fliud level wire 47b

2.fuel pump wire 76 2. wire 76

3.coolant fliud wire M47B

4.rpm meter wire 112 4.wire 112

5.k-light wire74 5.wire 74

6.starter motor wire 46

that leaves me with

wire 32a-yellow

wire m -yelllow/green

wire 2a thick red

is 1 of these the starter?

no idea where the coolant wires are

Thick pale blue is the starter exciter wire dont know the no. of the top of my head (46A or 46 B?),I seem to remember this is in the other plug though (Not the one shown in your picture)

Yellow/green is earth,Thick red is switched live (Originally coil feed) and the thin yellow is excess to requirement

Tris.

Edited by whizzer71

Sign in to follow this