• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mechsmurf

309 Rear Beam

mechsmurf

why do people fit 309 rear beams

boombang

I am because I have a set of uprated torsion bars for them knocking about somewhere, have a rebuild 309 beam and don't have a mint 205 beam.

If I didn't I wouldn't bother.

mechsmurf

i hear that it gains an extra 20mm width either side but couldnt you just fit 20mm wheel spacers or are they slightly uprated

boombang

As I understand it, the extra length of the torsion bars negates any benefit from being thicker, but the extra track is supposed to aid stability.

I prefer a car to slide around at the rear so doesn't make any odds. It's just what I've got so sticking with it.

Bit of an arse though as arch to tyre clearance isn't the best!

mechsmurf

would there be any point changing the front arms and shafts to 309 ones if not putting on a ream beam from a 309

bren_1.3

i think you need to read the pinned topic on suspension and how it all works for your answers...once you understand it you can make your own informed decisions with the knowledge you have gained.

the questions you ask have been answered a 1000 times on here. hence so few replies...its all out there in the forum.

mechsmurf

did search but couldnt find anything will read suspension topic

many thanks

bren_1.3

if you type in the word "beam" you should get a few pages of threads. i spotted two threads related to 309 rear suspension just on the first page so they cant be that old...

mechsmurf

sorry still getting used to forum im doing more detailed searches ie 309 rear beam :wub:

Sign in to follow this