• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Can An Old 1986 Cti Dash Be Changed With A Newer One?

smokey

Hiya Guys

I might have sourced myself a 1986 CTI. However the interior has seen better days.

Someone on here is selling a dash from a 1990 GTI.

I was wondering if the dash would be a straight fit?

The middle console does look quite different hence why i'm asking.

Thanks for you help

steve@cornwall
Hiya Guys

I might have sourced myself a 1986 CTI. However the interior has seen better days.

Someone on here is selling a dash from a 1990 GTI.

I was wondering if the dash would be a straight fit?

The middle console does look quite different hence why i'm asking.

Thanks for you help

It can be done, but you'll also need to change the switches and wiring back to the fusebox, heater controls - these can be changed as a unit - , steering wheel, upper and lower steering shrouds and centre console, with gearstick boot. The glove compartment and housing also needs modifying to clear the bonnet release, as this part of the bodyshell is bulkier than the tin-top. I converted my old ph1 to ph2 black dash etc. and it was a bit of a nightmare, in hindsight I should have replaced the entire switchgear loom rather than adapting the ph1 to suit the switches. All the mountings, however are the same and swap straight over.

smokey
It can be done, but you'll also need to change the switches and wiring back to the fusebox, heater controls - these can be changed as a unit - , steering wheel, upper and lower steering shrouds and centre console, with gearstick boot. The glove compartment and housing also needs modifying to clear the bonnet release, as this part of the bodyshell is bulkier than the tin-top. I converted my old ph1 to ph2 black dash etc. and it was a bit of a nightmare, in hindsight I should have replaced the entire switchgear loom rather than adapting the ph1 to suit the switches. All the mountings, however are the same and swap straight over.

Hiya Steve

Thanks for the info.

I've secured a phase 2 dash and will be picking it up soon :unsure:

One thing i'm not too sure about is the modifying of the glove compartment so the clear the bonnet release.

Do you have any pictures of this?

looking at the release on mine i can see how it might be a problem but not how to solve it.

Thanks

steve@cornwall
Hiya Steve

Thanks for the info.

I've secured a phase 2 dash and will be picking it up soon :unsure:

One thing i'm not too sure about is the modifying of the glove compartment so the clear the bonnet release.

Do you have any pictures of this?

looking at the release on mine i can see how it might be a problem but not how to solve it.

Thanks

I cut the back corner off my glove box lid, and corresponding frame when I changed mine. Was interesting to see when I bought the later model cti that that's exactly what pug did, too!- I'll see what I can find to take pics of, I still have the modified Ph2 one in the garage (somewhere)

smokey
I cut the back corner off my glove box lid, and corresponding frame when I changed mine. Was interesting to see when I bought the later model cti that that's exactly what pug did, too!- I'll see what I can find to take pics of, I still have the modified Ph2 one in the garage (somewhere)

Wicked if you could that would be great.

Also i've just been told he's got the switch loom. The rear window heater i might miss seeing i dont have one!

But what about the stalks?

Also will i be able to use the dials which i have now?

steve@cornwall
Wicked if you could that would be great.

Also i've just been told he's got the switch loom. The rear window heater i might miss seeing i dont have one!

But what about the stalks?

Also will i be able to use the dials which i have now?

Use same dials. I wired to the ph1 stalks IIRC, But I had a LOT of trouble with the indicators due to my rewiring the hazard switch rather than using the later switch loom into the fuse box. Hopefully, using the loom will save you that trouble

Miles

I would just change the lot, then there's no cutting of wires etc, The heater box needs replacing to due to the dial's etc but these are easy to find, Don;t worry about the heated window as the wires are there in the CTI loom anyway if you look in the dash and behind the back light.

smokey

Hiya Guys

Just reviving and old post.

I've now taken out my old phase 1 dash, the wiring is still in at the moment.

I've got the new dash and wiring.

I was wondering will the new dash loom plug straight into the fuse box?

I haven't unplugged any of the current loom yet incase i the plugs are different on each loom.

Thanks

smokey

bump

Hans

I'm at the moment changing my PH1 CTI to a PH2 including the dash. It looks like the fuse box is the same, but the wiring is complety different. The wiring is in 3-4 parts. One is from the left hand side of the loom in the enginge room (front headlights etc.) it is connected down by the ECU and of course to the fuse box in the other end (hopes this make sense). Another part is connected to the heater and stereo + midt consol. 3. part is the wiring to the dashbord instruments.

The wiring to the electric windows and centrallocking needs to be fixed, because the plugs cant't be fitted in to a PH1 from a PH2 (the doors can shut)

I'we also changed the wiring from the rear lights. Theres is some difference in the fuelpump plugs.

Please note that i'm changing a left hand drive model, so there might be some difference.

Hope you could use this information.

Good luck, it a bit hard to do this conversion

Hans

smokey

Thanks hans

Thing is i've got the actual dash loom that comes with the new phase 2 dash. So from what i've been told i should be able to just unplug all the old dash loom and put this new dash loom in.

As for the engine loom. I have a Mi16 loom so that should also just plug into the fuse box.

I dont know what you mean with regards to the electric windows ans central locking. What do you mean the doors can't shut?

Does anyone have any info on this?

I have got some electric window motors to convert my cti to electric windows. Any idea on how they are wired?

Thanks

Hans

In the PH1 there is some rubber things in wich there wiring are to the doors. In a PH2 there are 2 plugs wich seperates at the door. I coudn't get the doors to lock, when i fitted this in my PH1, so i've had to make new wiring to the doors. Hope this made sense......

If you have a PH2 dash loom, there should be the original plugs to fit electrical windows to.

Hans

Almost forgot..... remember that you have to get a new speedometer cable, as the PH1 dosn't fit into PH2.

steve@cornwall
Almost forgot..... remember that you have to get a new speedometer cable, as the PH1 dosn't fit into PH2.

? Mine did

smokey
? Mine did

Yeah thats what i thought.

Doesn't the cable just go from the gearbox to the back of the speedo clocks.

I'm also using the same clocks so its defo going to fit.

Steve. Gald you saw this post again, i was wondering what you thought of my previous question with regards to, the actual dash loom from the phase 2 plugging into the same places as the phase 1. I think it will seeing that the fuse box never changed, but just want to ask the question 1st.

Thanks

ccgoose

would all these principles be the same for a ph2 GTi into a ph1 GTi ?

smokey
would all these principles be the same for a ph2 GTi into a ph1 GTi ?

Yeah should be exactly the same

huzzer

How did this go in the end? any pics of progress?

smokey
How did this go in the end? any pics of progress?

Its all ready to go in, just need to finish the other 100+ jobs first ;)

I thinking of writing it all up in the members car section so there will be a full account of how it went and how to/not to do it :D

steve@cornwall
Its all ready to go in, just need to finish the other 100+ jobs first ;)

I thinking of writing it all up in the members car section so there will be a full account of how it went and how to/not to do it :D

I hope the plugs will be interchangeable at the fuse box - my conversion would probably be a case of how not to do it! !!! I ended up splicing the two looms together - not ideal, or easy. IIRC one of the biggest problems was the light / indicator stalks as they aren't a direct swap over. It's been a while since I did this, but I do have a fuzzy memory of having to cut away some of the plastic behind the clocks to get the speedo connected

smokey
I hope the plugs will be interchangeable at the fuse box - my conversion would probably be a case of how not to do it! !!! I ended up splicing the two looms together - not ideal, or easy. IIRC one of the biggest problems was the light / indicator stalks as they aren't a direct swap over. It's been a while since I did this, but I do have a fuzzy memory of having to cut away some of the plastic behind the clocks to get the speedo connected

It should be a direct swap...for me?!

I have the complete Phase 2 dash, switches and loom. I also have the phase 2 stalks. The only thing that will be original is the heater and the clocks.

Will i still have a problem steve?

steve@cornwall
It should be a direct swap...for me?!

I have the complete Phase 2 dash, switches and loom. I also have the phase 2 stalks. The only thing that will be original is the heater and the clocks.

Will i still have a problem steve?

It kinda depends on whether those plugs go into the fuse box..............................................

smokey
It kinda depends on whether those plugs go into the fuse box..............................................

They should do. I've been told that the fuse box never changed through the models

Miles

The other thing which might be a issue if the steering coloum, I know the 309 ones are different between phase's not sure on the 205 ones thou

gti_al

Get a late speedo cable... and the late heater box. Can't remember why - there is a reason though :(

Sign in to follow this