• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hodgy

309 Beam Fitting

hodgy

ive had a search and all i can find is how to fit a beam.

im gonna be putting a 309 beam on my 1.6 and dont know what things i need

ive heard i need a 1.9 hand brake and cables but dont know what else i need

All Praise The GTI

handbrake cables and rear brake lines i think mate.(ive only ever fitted them to my 1.9s)

j_turnell

Pretty easy mate, youll need to buy handbrake cables and the 2 caliper flexy's. Then just run two new bits of copper to the beam flexy's, job done.

hodgy

ill have to get hold of some brake pipe then so i can do it

do i need 309 cables or 1.9 gti ones

Paintguy
do i need 309 cables or 1.9 gti ones

I bet there isn't much difference between them, but I kept the original (205 1.9) cables when I fitted my 309 beam.

Jrod

I've got the short hoses you need in braided steel and some nearly new handbrake cables if you are interested. (swapped from discs back to drums!)

joe1joe

got a feeling when i put my beam in i used the 309 cables as they were slighly longer and fitted better, but not 100 percent sure.

jackherer

Don't use 309 cables on a 205, they are too long and hang down and people in queues at traffic lights will hoot then when they have your attention say "theres a pipe falling off your car mate!". Or when you leave a customers site they will phone you to tell you about them.

Also if you have passengers in the back they rub on the ground and spark when you go over bumps. You'll get bored of people telling you about them before the sparks become a major issue though.

hodgy
Don't use 309 cables on a 205, they are too long and hang down and people in queues at traffic lights will hoot then when they have your attention say "theres a pipe falling off your car mate!". Or when you leave a customers site they will phone you to tell you about them.

Also if you have passengers in the back they rub on the ground and spark when you go over bumps. You'll get bored of people telling you about them before the sparks become a major issue though.

i wont be having passengers in the back i only have 2seats and a cage

im worried bout having to make the lil bit of piping up tho

Henry Yorke

If you are fitting this to a 1.6 like you say, you will need to put a T piece in the rear brake line and split it across both sides of the rear beam for the discs. I presume you are switching from drums to discs too and have that side covered. You won't need the rear compensators in the brake lines on the 309 beam if running through a single rear brake line. The 1.6 compensator is in the engine bay.

j_turnell

The 1.6 already has the T-piece so all you will need to do is replace the bit of copper after the beam flexy pipes as its unlikely to get this off successfully and get some caliper flexy pipes, 1.9 handbrake cables, job done.

hodgy

sure i can manage it :wacko: im doing it at my mates so sure we can sort it out. i have 2days to get it done in

Sign in to follow this