• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Xu10 Blocks

JeffR

Hi all,

I'm trying to establish which of the XU10 blocks are fitted with the piston spray bars, as the engine will be used for competition.

I'm after a GTi6 style head, with an iron block bottom end. I'm sure I read here some time back which model (or engine family) was fitted with them, even to the actual engines numbers.

I've spent most of today searching for an answer here, but I'm still not certain if it's the RFV (XU10J4R) or RFY (XU10J4L/Z) engine to go for.

We have plenty of the 2.0l XU10 engines in Australia as fitted to late 1997 onwards 306 & 406 vehicles, but this website-

http://mypugclub.tripod.com/id23.html

lists the RFV from 1995-96 fitted to the 406, but the 306 (94-97) is listed as having the RFY.

Can someone please clarify the issue?

Cheers,

Jeff

PS. Sorry mods if pasting a link to another site is frowned upon.

gizzmo

i have a s16 block ready to go to qep for work it has oil spray bars, so thats one.

B1ack_Mi16

Blocks with spraybars are:

XU10J4/XU10J4TE, XU10J2TE, XU10J4RS

The XU10J4R (RFV) you are mentioning only have spraybars in the very early models, so it's may be hard to find one.

I think I made a post about this a long time ago:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=539673

JeffR

Thanks,

That's what I was after. :D

Jeff

gti_al

Can i have some 1.9 bits jeff? Sounds like you won't be needing them... :D

JeffR

Hi Al,

I came across a few 2.0l engines/blocks recently & was thinking how good a BV head would be on an 87 x 88mm iron block.

Not sure what capacity that makes, but the bigger bore would lessen valve shrouding & the longer stroke should give a bit more torque to boot.

Jeff

gti_al

I bet the improved oil control would be nice too. Magic has had good results with his 2l, and said it was a monster even before the final map was done. That said, yours was looking good for decent figures when finished, wasn't it?

If you are disposing of any 1.9 bottom ends let me know. I want to build up a better one over first semester, as my block is a bit average... and lacking :D

JeffR

Al,

Still finding the best tune for mine. Looking at basic timing, intake length, cam timing, etc. Was hindered by a difficult 2007 which made testing impossible, but I'll hit the ground running soon. :D

My 1.9 now has many of the XU10 oil control mods, and more-

1/ Uprated oil pump, spring, chain & sprocket,

2/ Windage tray,

3/ Baffled sump

4/ Early 205 8v deep sump & Mi spacer,

5/ Extended pick-up & external 13 row oil cooler giving me 6.5l capacity.

If I can pick up an XU10 pump with the bigger gears & chain cover, my bottom end would exceed the factory XU10's.

I believe the XU7 & 10 engines go a bit further with their better head design regarding oil control, utilising divided inlet & exhaust lubrication chambers, resulting in less oil retained in the head. I haven't had a close look at the drain back castings to the block, but I bet PSA made some improvements there too.

BTW-I have a spare engine 1.9l or two, which may be of use. PM me

Jeff

Sign in to follow this