• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mad_dome

Need Help With Cam

mad_dome

just about to buy a 264 fast road newman cam is this wise idea?

j_turnell

Might help if you elaborate a little. What you using the car for? Any other engine mods? Not sure what the standard cam is off the top of my head but 264 sounds pretty low as the piper 270 is basically the standard equivalent, sure someone else can shed more light on that one.

Tom Fenton

From a close friend of mines personal experience I would never use a Newman camshaft myself.

mad_dome

what went wrong for your mate? my car is standard apart from a full exhurst system.

i could eaither have a 264 as the standard cam for my engine is 270 i think or i could go with a 280 cam.

this is for my 1.9 8v gti. what would be best 264 or 280????

j_turnell

I would do a search and look into other options such as catcams. Are you going to be using standard injection as this has its limitations?? If all your doing is throwing a cam in then you wont see that big improvments really, its a combination of things that you see differences.

Fast Road Jay

264 is a downgrade! 280 should show a small improvemeant tho

mad_dome

yes i could get 280. but am unsure now! i made a mistake on my first post! i was going to buy a 268 cam.

but he did say u could go for the 280 here are the stats of the cam i am looking at buying please shed some light on this.

A Newman camshaft 268 deg suitable for 8V 1.6 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI and 309 GTI

The camshaft has been cut to high specification on a new quality blank, note this is not a re-grind camshaft.

The camshaft when fitted correctly will give good power/torque gains especialy in the mid, with little low end loss. This is a good fast road for a fairly standard engine, free reving cam for the 8V engine. 11.93 inlet lift,11.88 ex lift timing 24/64 64/24

280 deg and 300 deg are also available.

Please look at http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/peugeot.pdf

Richie-Van-GTi

what people are saying is the cam you are looking at is milder than the standard cam, the standard cam is closer to the 280 cam in terms of performance. I switched from a 280 'performance' cam to a standard cam with no other changes and felt no difference in the engine. If your parting with hard earned cash then get something that will give you a noticeable gain, otherwise you will feel cheated.

ifcho
From a close friend of mines personal experience I would never use a Newman camshaft myself.

why is that? I have asked before here for newman cams and the responses were very good.

Actually my "tarmac rally sprint" cam just arrived.

mad_dome

Ok everyone just bought myself a ported and polished head skimmed to 7mm with piper 270 fast road cam.

Group A injecters with fse boost valve. ported and polished throtel body. kn induction kit

Can anybody shed some light as to what sort of effects this will have on my performace?

hodgy

bin the 270 cam and put a proper one in.i had a 270 cam in an engine and it was no different to standard where as i noticed a difference with a 285cam

Sign in to follow this