• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daveyboyblack

Oil Temp Sensor - Different Fitting Sizes

daveyboyblack

Hi Everyone,

I'm just in the process of putting on a baffled sump that I bought of Anthony. The temp sensor from my mi16 sump won't fit as the new sump has a smaller thread fitting.

I'd presumed that this new sump was off a 306 s16 or similar however the only sump plug that I could get from pug to fit was off the 1.8Diesel.

Basically i'm after a temp sensor which has a slightly smaller thread than the standard mi16 one, but obviously needs to be the same calibration.

Pug will only let me order one in on a no-refund basis and weren't any help in identifying the fitting size. Does anyone know whether I should get away with ordering a temp sensor from the 1.8D, or whether this is likely to be calibrated differently to the mi16 one? :rolleyes:

Apologies for not posting any pics as i'm sure this would help!, But anyone with any suggestions as to the 2 different thread sizes would be much appreciated!!!!

I'm hoping to finish the track-prep on my mi16 this weekend, and this is hopefully the last part I need to source. :lol:

I'll be putting up some picks of the weekends work on Sunday... unless i'm at the Autosport show!

Cheers

Dave

Anthony

Opps, didn't realise that the oil temp sensor wasn't present - I must have used it on my new engine (that sump was from my old one).

As you've discovered, the temp sensors are a different fitment between XU7/XU9 and XU10 sumps - I'll have a look to see if I've got a spare sensor somewhere for you, but basically what you need is the oil temp sensor from any late 405 or 306 with an XU10J2/J4/J4R/J4RS engine. XUD engines don't have an oil temp sensor, so you can't order one of them... an a coolant temp sensor will be calibrated differently to an oil temp one I would expect, given the different scales on the gauges (approx 115 degree maximum on coolant, and 150 degree on oil)

Give me a minute and I'll find you the part number.

petert

I also discovered the output resistance is different between the XU9 and XU10 oil temp sensors for the same temperature. You're best to adapt an XU9 sensor to fit the XU10 sump.

jackherer
I also discovered the output resistance is different between the XU9 and XU10 oil temp sensors for the same temperature. You're best to adapt an XU9 sensor to fit the XU10 sump.

Thats not good. So would you expect a 205 gauge connected to an XU10 sender to under or over read?

petert

I'm not sure, but halfway is stinking hot. Initially I didn't think the sensor/gauge was working. But after a serious workout on the track it gets to halfway.

daveyboyblack

Hmmm, trackday coming up soon.... so my backup plan of just putting another sump plug in and not even having a sensor probably isn't the best idea in the world.... although it is the easiest!!

Anthony
I'm not sure, but halfway is stinking hot. Initially I didn't think the sensor/gauge was working. But after a serious workout on the track it gets to halfway.

The XU10 oil temp sender on my engine appears to read similar to the previous XU9 one, and certainly on track will climb to nearly the end of the gauge after a 20+ minute session, backed up by the oil pressure dropping off as the oil temp needle moves round the last third of the gauge.

Other people I know of who are using XU10 sumps and senders haven't had any issues that I know of - could the sensor you tested have been faulty perhaps, or is there more than one type of XU10 oil temp sender?

Sign in to follow this