• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hodgy

Baffled Sump

hodgy

ive just bought a baffled sump and dont know how many gaskets i have to use now

do i put a gasket between the SUMP&BAFFLES then between the BAFFLES&SPACER and then between the SPACER&ENGINE?

Atari Boy

I beleve (and have just done myself as it shows to in Haynes) put a gasget between sump and spacer only.

Miles

Just use sealent, NEver use Gaskets these day's

hodgy

do i need longer bolts too to hold the sump on? if so which ones

Super Josh
I beleve (and have just done myself as it shows to in Haynes) put a gasget between sump and spacer only.

Yes, but the Haynes instructions don't account for a seperate baffle. As Miles says, just us Sealant. But don't use the Wurth stuff as thay have changed the formula over the last few years (a reduction in VOCs) and it just isn't the same any more, hence my sump leaking like a sieve. Pug dealerships are supposed to sell a decent sealant. Does anyone have the part number?

Hodgy, standard bolts should be fine.

Josh

daveyboyblack

Hi All,

I'm putting my baffled XU10 sump onto my mi16 tomorrow. Was planning on using a gasket as well as a small amount of good sealant, as the sump flanges are fairly thin, so would have thought that I'm more likely to achieve a good seal by using both?

Maybe i'm thinking about it the wrong way tho?

Miles, you say "Never" use a gasket these days.... is this just because sealants are now much better than they used to be?

Dave

Atari Boy
Yes, but the Haynes instructions don't account for a seperate baffle.

Josh

Yes, sorry not fully awake,ignore me.

Super Josh
Yes, sorry not fully awake,ignore me.

:D I know the feeling

jimmer

I use two sump gaskets and small ammount of sealant either side of a PTS baffle plate. Works well as i used to use sealant only and it leaked. Standard bolts work fine.

jimmer

I use two sump gaskets and small ammount of sealant either side of a PTS baffle plate. Works well as i used to use sealant only and it leaked. Standard bolts work fine.

Fast Road Jay

personally if i had gaskets to hand i would use sealer on both sides of the gaskets and then gaskets between each contact point but if your not made of gaskets just slap a beed of sealer all the way 'round, i pretty much use sealer for everything that doesnt have any pressure or extreme heat on it now as most the sealers are brilliant and a lot of manufacturers dont even use sump gaskets etc

hodgy

last question, while im under there i might aswell change my oil pump spring,WHAT car is the spring off that is the same as the "group N" ones

Sign in to follow this