• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samauty

Setting Valve Clearances...

samauty

Anyone know the procedure for setting the valve clearances on a 1.6 8v xu?

Ive lost my haynes manual B)

What are tolerances when hot? When the engine is warm I cant help but think my engine sound like a bag of spanners.........

thanks!

Tom Fenton

Measure clearances, take cam out, measure shims, calculate new size of shims needed, order from Peugeot, wait a few weeks probably if my local dealer is anything to go buy, pick up new shims, fit to head, put cam back.

Not that difficult but not like a TU where you can just adjust the tappets. Usually if the valve clearances are not right they sound worse when cold?

samauty

yeah i thought the same.... but its sounds very tappety when hot.....

pug_ham

Check its not the exhaust manifold thats cracked which sounds tappetty when it blows.

I had my valve clearances done thinking these were the cause & it was just the same when they were set correctly. If you have a decent Pug dealer they can get the shims next day, mine did.

A new exhaust manifold (with pug gaskets) fixed it. B)

BTW, always check the valve clearances on a cold engine.

Graham.

ifcho

If the noise gets worse when the engine is hot, you may need an oil change.

samauty

i checked today that the oil spray bar was not blocked and it wasnt. Also had a good luck at the manifold and couldnt see any cracks. And theres no blowing from the exhaust when the engine is cold.

Ill try an oil change next. What is the recommended oil? I am currently using 10w40.

Maybe 15w40 could be slightly thicker and hence stop my tapping noise?

pug_ham

Have you checked around the mainfold & downpipe when the engine is warm / hot?

Either oil is fine for use on your car so shouldn't make any difference to the tappet noise imo.

Best get the feeler guages out & check your valve clearances.

Grasham.

samauty

Yep checked when the engine was hot after a run and iam sure its the valve clearances. It sounds very tappety from the rocker cover area. Exhaust manifold looks fine and gaskets do too. I did put a later manifold on with the strengthening bits in when my old one was cracked :)

Whats the preceedure for adjusting. Starts on valve 1, check valve 8 etc.

What too are the clearances for a 1.6?

Sam

Richie-Van-GTi

.2 and .4 seem to ring a bell with me but I dont have a manual to confirm this. Sure its not the injectors or exhaust manifold gaskets. Easy test for gaskets is to hang a bit of toilet tissue near them, any blows will soon show.

carbers205

Clearances on cold engine are 0.15 to 0.25mm inlet and 0.35 to 0.45 exhaust.

Mattsav

Set the clearances at 0.2mm inlet and 0.3mm exhaust. The std specs for the exhaust clearance are very large which always makes them tappety

samauty

haha! cheers mate for the tip. It is sometimes hard to tell whether or not there is a leak - will double check now though.

Thanks for the clearances too. This forum is so helpful - i wish id only found out about it earlier!

:lol:

samauty

i am still having this starting problem when the car is left for more than 10 mins when hot. Its also getting hard to start when its cold too.

Do you rekon incorrect valve clearances could be related?

pug_ham
Do you rekon incorrect valve clearances could be related?

Yes, valve clearances can make the car harder to start at all times, hot or cold.

Graham.

ifcho
Measure clearances, take cam out, measure shims, calculate new size of shims needed, order from Peugeot, wait a few weeks probably if my local dealer is anything to go buy, pick up new shims, fit to head, put cam back.

Not that difficult but not like a TU where you can just adjust the tappets. Usually if the valve clearances are not right they sound worse when cold?

Don't you re-use the old shims?

When we changed the shims, we took all out, measured them, then calculated the needed shims for the correct valve clearances and took some of the old ones, that would do the job. The rest were ordered.

pug_ham
Don't you re-use the old shims?

When we changed the shims, we took all out, measured them, then calculated the needed shims for the correct valve clearances and took some of the old ones, that would do the job. The rest were ordered.

Yes you can do this, I swapped positions for some when I did the valve clearances on my STDT recently.

Changed from needing seven shims to just the three.:wub:

Graham.

Sign in to follow this