• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Uprated Clutch + Flywheel

wardy18

Ok so ive caught a few little hints reading different threads that quite a good upgrade especially for track day/race is fitting an MI16 clutch and Flywheel as they are 15mm bigger.

As im currently ordering all the parts for my race 205 this sounds a great little performance gain for only slightly extra than what i im goin to spend anyway on a alloy flywheel and helix clutch

Demon Tweeks do a Billet Steel Supalite 7 1/4" Race Flywheel for the Mi16 for £256.67 and then a Helix Group N Mi16 Clutch with either Organic or Ceramic Plate for £248.38 or £331.22 respectively

Does this sound a worthwhile upgrade to teh Mi16 spec or would you simply stick with the XU9 Spec?!

im not sure of teh weight of this Billet Steel Flywheel as its not stated but id imagine its pretty damn light

let me know what u think

simon

boombang

Unless you are running massive torque (turbo sort of torque), I'd not worry about changing the clutch for anything other than a Valeo one. The Mi16 flywheel is bigger but also heavier. Depends what sort of race spec you building really.

Miles

As said if your under 200bhp then the std dia flywheel is fine at 200mm, the Helix clutch is a good idea as it is stronger with a better bite, I know the springs in the std plates can break up.

As said above the Mi16 flywheel is heavier due to the timing teeth, The 1.6 GTi flywheel being the lighest in std form, I;ve seen the one's in tweeks and they look pretty good from memory but worth finding out if poss who makes them as getting them direct maybe would be cheaper.

I can supply Helix clutch's if needed

pug_ham

A standard Mi flywheel isn't much heavier than a 1.6 flywheel iirc, approx 1/2 kg heavier but same amount lighter than a 1.9 flywheel.

My L&B Mi flywheel from QEP is lighter than a 1.6 flywheel afaik.

Graham.

saveloy

Lighten the flywheel, keep the standard clutch. Have a coke n a smile.

wardy18

nice one

The Billet Steel Flywheel in demon Tweeks are made by TTV Racing Components but it doesnt state the weight apart from its the Supalite model

The Alloy flywheel they also sell dont specify a make and are 3.4kg for the 1.6/1.9

will need to the weight of the steel one beofre i make a choice and yeh i will try and go direct!!

I called Lynx Power Engineering about one yesterday and they are yet to get back to me so i may just stick with Demon Tweeks!!

Miles - How much can u supply a Helix clutch for and whats difference between the Organic and Ceramic plates?!

many thanx

SPGTi

Doesn't Mattsav at QEP(forum sponsor) supply billet aluminium flywheels ?

Steve

pug_ham
will need to the weight of the steel one beofre i make a choice and yeh i will try and go direct!!

I thought I'd quoted the weight of each flywheel in a reply to your other topic on flywheels. :huh:

1.6 flywheel = 6kg's

Mi flywheel = 6.5kg's

1.9 flywheel = 7kgs.

My QEP lightened Mi flywheel is less than 6kg's 5.5kg max iirc) but now its on teh car I can't weigh it obviously.

Graham.

Miles

I seem to remember seeing a Alloy flywheel when I was down at QEP last time so worth asking,

Wardy, Drop me a PM with the type of clutch and I'll find out a price for you, I'm away at the Autosport show for the next couple of days so I'll get you the info when I get back

wardy18
I thought I'd quoted the weight of each flywheel in a reply to your other topic on flywheels. :)

I meant the weight of the TTV Racing Billet Steel one in Demon Tweeks, not the standard ones, but thanx for the info anyway.

I asked QEP the other day about teh Flywheel while ordering my new Catcam and they supply them for the 1900 at 3.9kg for £300, so id say the Billet Alloy one from Demon tweeks is lighter and cheaper, have made a couple of calls and am waiting for the weight of the TTV Billet Steel flywheel from Demon Tweeks.

Miles - I might aswel order one from Demon Tweeks as i need to get the order in asap and i have a large order with them anyway and will push for some discount on such a large order, thanx anyway!!

Whats the difference between ORGANIC and CERAMIC plates?!

welshpug

organic - organic friction material, ceramic- ceramic friction material.

wardy18

kinda self explanatory that bit :) - i mean whats the difference in performance, why is there 2 options?!

16v205

I have one of them TTV flywheels for my gti6. They weigh around 3.8kg if I remember correctly.

Rich

wardy18

ah ok sound, those will be alot lighter than the 205 one as the GTi6 one they do is Supalite with drilled in to reduce weight even further but the 205 one is just liteweight with no extra drilled holes

this ill go with the billet alloy one at £242

just need to decide on which clutch plate, organic or ceramic

cheers

CaptainK
I thought I'd quoted the weight of each flywheel in a reply to your other topic on flywheels. B)

1.6 flywheel = 6kg's

Mi flywheel = 6.5kg's

1.9 flywheel = 7kgs.

Out of interest, where does the GTi6 flywheel fit in the above list ?

wardy18

i think they are the same as the Mi!!

pug_ham
Out of interest, where does the GTi6 flywheel fit in the above list ?

No idea, I've never weighed one.

It should be very similar to the Mi16 flywheel though because they are almost identical afaik, like wardy said.

Graham.

16v205

They look identical enough when i compared them side by side. The only difference I could really see was theres a locating dowel on the rear to lock the flywheel through the gti-6 block. I used my mi16 clutch on the gti6 flywheel.

Rich

CaptainK
i think they are the same as the Mi!!

Excellent. So I've lost 0.5 kg just by swapping the 1.9 GTi engine for a GTi6 one. B)

jackherer

GTI6 and Mi16 flywheels are larger so the weight is further out which I guess isn't a good thing?

markw

according to demons website, they are helix ali flywheels, do we get a discount from them as i want a clutch and flywheel for my mi 16 racer

pdd144c

Are these flywheels not designed for a multi plate 7 1/4" race clutch? Meaning a conventional Helix item won't fit.

James_R

I've got a lightened Mi one I'll weigh it tonight but it's circa 4kgs form memory.

markw

surely the helix group n clutch is just an uprated standard pattern clutch(200mm) so as mentioned above wont bolt up to a flywheel designed for a 71/4" (184mm)race style clutch

rich_gti6

I can do you a TTV billet steel [to accept standard 215mm type clutch, GTI-6 etc] for £200 delivered if thats any good?

They are circa 3,8KG.

Availability is 2-3 days.

I've never ordered one for a race clutch before but i'm sure it's something they could accommodate.

Regards,

Rich

Lynx Power Engineering

Sign in to follow this