• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
osama

Fitting Seal...

osama

hi guys!

i have a seal that im pretty sure has gone which is behind the dizzy, attatched to the side of the head? if that makes any sense!?

the dizzy is just bolted on...so does that mean i can undo it and replace the seal without any oil coming out? because my only thought, is that there is a bit of oil coming from around the seal so presumed that it was retaining oil? im not sure?

anyone?

cheers

osama

kanyeost

Yeah it is fine to take the dizzy off, you might get a bit of oil leak out but not a tidal wave so don't worry.

Before you take it off make sure you mark the position of the dizzy in relation to the head so that you can put it back in the same place and not mess the timing up. The seal is an o-ring, not sure of the size. I originally got one from Peugeot but it perished within a few months which is really weird so I used one from the local motor factors which has been fine.

It is definately worth trying but you may find that fixing the O-ring doesn't actually help. I did mine and oil still leaked all over the gear box so I put some instant gasket stuff round it and still it leaked. It turned out it wasn't the o-ring but the internal seal in the distributor that's leaking and oil is getting into the section with the weights and springs and then leaking out of the holes on the underside of the actual dizzy.

I stripped the distributor to try and fix it but it was a bitch; quite fiddly and you have to knock a bloody awkward pin out. Once apart I couldn't find a suitable seal to fix it so I'm just putting up with with it for the time being...

Edit: Just noticed that you've got a GTI so that's an XU engine, not sure if that's the same set up as the TU which I was referring to...

Edited by kanyeost

GLPoomobile

Hi. To avoid oil spillage when changing the seal, jack up the passenger side of the car so the engine is raised on that side, and obviously the oil in the head will flow to the opposite side.

Also, just a bit of friendly advice :) if it's a GTI this should have been posted in the XU engine forum. Might not get as many views in the TU section (I usually ignore the TU section).

osama

okay, i hope i dont have the same problem as you did! sounds like effort! but i think that the person before me had used some kind of strange seal, hence why it is leaking at the moment! i've ordered the part and will attempt to fit it on sat! whilst jacked up B)<br>

yeh i must have just looked straight past this section! haha! thanks dude!

osama

Sign in to follow this