• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samauty

Beam On The Way Out?

samauty

I have just recently put my 1.6 GTI on road after doing quite a bit of extensive work to the engine, front suspension, brakes and body work. As well as installing a full leather interior :P

I have been driving it around as my main car and for the last 20 or 30 miles it has developed squeeks and creaks from the back of the car?

I wondered if the rear beam was knackered.... the wheels do not appear to toe in or any of that melarc. And the noise seams to vanish when people sit in the back?

jackherer

It could be one or two other things but its probably the beam, the seals will have failed and the grease will have washed out so now its running dry. If you dismantle it now and you are very lucky you may find its repairable but if you wait until you see camber or get knocks and bangs the beam will be largely scrap and you'll need to source another good enough to rebuild. I know it sounds like a horror story but they really are that bad.

osama

a check to do is push down on the rear end to see if both sides of the suspension compress and return freely. this will tell you if your beam is seized, which is also a common problem. A cheap temporary fix is to penetrate lubricant into the joints and drive on cobbled roads! haha! freind of mine did it, and his is pretty good!

osama

samauty

Cheers i will deff try that! :)

i am fairly convinced though its shot... There does now appear to be more lean in at the top of the wheels......

Is the rebuild job difficult, as i dont really have much access to pullers and such likes. I have been quoted £345 inc vat for a recon one with 12 months warrenty, collection and delivery? :)

That seem good or bad?

sam

bren_1.3
Cheers i will deff try that!

i am fairly convinced though its shot... There does now appear to be more lean in at the top of the wheels......

Is the rebuild job difficult, as i dont really have much access to pullers and such likes. I have been quoted £345 inc vat for a recon one with 12 months warrenty, collection and delivery?

That seem good or bad?

sam

depends how badly the beam is damaged. *hopefully* it will just require a trailing arm shaft and new bearings/seals/cups. thats if its only the drivers side that has gone. which is often the first side to go.

in the event of tragedy, then the beam tube will be scrap and the trailing arm shaft will be scrap. a good base model beam tube will suffice as a donor, with new seals, bearings and the like. a full list of which can be found on the forum. ive rebuilt a few of these now and am local so can help if you so desire.

£345 is not cheap, and i assume they want the beam off the car when they pick it up? if thats the case you might aswell continue the job and assess the damage with the beam off the car...a 12 month warranty is a bit of a fad. nothing breaks as such, its wear internally that causes them to fail, and you'd never spot that unless you stripped the beam at regular service intervals.

samauty

hey mate cheers for the reply!

yeah i thought that seemed a little steep too.... I mean I ve done plenty of engine work, front suspension etc and ive done all the work myself - so i am sure its not beyond me. But just reading the forum refurb guide seemed to daunt me a little....

But, to be honest i am not 100% whether it is the beam or not.....I mean I can hear something squealing, dunno how much there meant to camber when there knacked?

If your local i could maybe bob it down to you, and you can cast and eye over for me if you want?

Cheers, Sam

bren_1.3

dont be daunted by the refurb guide, they really are very simple. if the beam has never been apart before then its worth taking it apart for inspection as most are shot by all accounts.

PM me for a phone number if you would like..

mrblonde

oh fook!!.thats whats mine doing at the mo to!.god damn it.

samauty

yes i feel the same........ B)

finally get the car on the road - and more problems!

god dame it!!

mrblonde

yep!..fooks me right off!!..i might sale it!!..

Baz
yep!..fooks me right off!!..i might sale it!!..

Surely it's not that drastic!!

I have a good rebuilt 1.9 beam for sale though if need be. Otherwise if it does come to selling it, you know where to come... :rolleyes:

samauty

ooo i maybe interested in a 1.9 beam for my 1.6 - as mine is shot. :)

Do i have to do any mods to the brakes for the drum to disk switchover?

mrblonde

yeah i dont know what to do.i change my mind the same as i change my pants!.baz i may be interested about the beam.

samauty

na changed my mind about the 1.9 beam. Iam really after a 1.6 beam- cant be arsed with the brakes been changed :wacko:

If anyone does have a 1.6 beam - am interested :)

jord294

i may be selling the beam off a car i'm picking up tomorrow.

it's a 1.6 beam. i'll be putting a fully refurbed 309 axle on the car anyway.

i'll let you know the condition tomorrow

samauty

thats great if you could! i am only at Liverpool, so its an easy pickup; some of my mates live at Ruthin too.

:)

mrblonde

so do you think its just the rear subframe mounts that i need to change?..as its just like a knocking noise and no other noise and its just from one side

Sign in to follow this