• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Can I Use Solid Lifters With Standard Cams?

M_R_205

after a word of advice as iv had mixed information on the subject,

to cure the compression problems of my mi16 iv had to fit solid lifters, will the standard cams be ok or will they damage the valves? if they are not ok can they be re-ground to suit the mechanical lifer??? or is it a set of new cams??

Thanks

Paul

petert

It's a risk. Try them at 0.010" in and 0.013" ex. It will certainly be rattly regardless of the time it keeps going. You're better to regrind to solid profiles. Much cheaper than new lifters.

James_R

there's no reason the lifts won't work with the cams, just means you could run much steeper ramp angles on the cams with solid lifter.

What compression problems are you having though?

M_R_205

The guy who port pollished the head cut the valve seats way to much, weve tryed cutting a wee bit off the top ov the valves but its still seeping through the seats, so decided solid was the only way to go,

Peter T, please excuse my lack of knowlage here but whats the difference between solid and std profiles??, iv seen elsewhere that you offere `group a` (i think) re grinds, could you do smthing sexy with my standard cams??

James_R

The seats are cut back so much the lifters hold the valves open? has the head been flow tested since the work's been done on it?

Could be worth considering just using a std head, cheaper than more cams solids etc...

Mandic

Hydraulic lifter always touches cam lobe, where solid is not. And You can run steeper angles with hidraulic compared to soild lifters where You have to start slowly to first touch the lifter and then start to open it. With hydraulic You can start immediately as it is already toching cam lobe.

Cheers

Ziga

M_R_205
The seats are cut back so much the lifters hold the valves open? has the head been flow tested since the work's been done on it?

Could be worth considering just using a std head, cheaper than more cams solids etc...

That was my initial thought but to get the work re done on a new head (36.5 valves plus fully ported) will cost around 800 - 1000£ and as im going to be using it in anger i may aswell just get some nice cams for it,

Plus my lovely gf bought me the lifters for xmass :)

petert
Peter T, please excuse my lack of knowlage here but whats the difference between solid and std profiles??, iv seen elsewhere that you offere `group a` (i think) re grinds, could you do smthing sexy with my standard cams??

As pointed out, the opening ramp angles are different between solid and hydraulic profiles. Hydraulic lobes always touch the bucket, where as solid lobes have clearance between the base circle of the lobe and the bucket, when the valve is closed.

Yes, I can do something for you, but inlet grind choice depends on how much CR you have. Best value and performance is for a new billet on the inlet and a regrind on the exhaust. I have plenty of std. exhaust cams which I'll gladly sell off cheap so you don't have to post anything.

There's no way I'd run hyd. cams on a present from my girl friend!

Sign in to follow this