• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richard

Lighting Loom...and Earth Problems.

richard

Yesterday i spent a fair old amount of time fixing up (so i thought) the pug. Instead what i seem to have done is buggered up the electrics on the lighting side, despite them all working fine earlier that afternoon (before reseating headlights and horn)

Is there a substance i can use to clean up earthing points and connectors on the cars wiring?

I was thinking of using coke as that does a pretty good job of eating everything.

Also, wiring looms, im thinking i should just say bugger it and purchase a new lighting part of the loom. No one would have any ideas of cost for a ph2 front loom would they?

Tom Fenton

I did this over the weekend. After lots of messing about attempting to clean connectors I ended up chopping them off and crimping on new. I also replaced the earthing point on the headlamp panel. This was the main cause of the faults. Have a look for my "saved from the scrapyard thread" there is a picture in there.

GLPoomobile
Yesterday i spent a fair old amount of time fixing up (so i thought) the pug. Instead what i seem to have done is buggered up the electrics on the lighting side, despite them all working fine earlier that afternoon (before reseating headlights and horn)

Is there a substance i can use to clean up earthing points and connectors on the cars wiring?

I was thinking of using coke as that does a pretty good job of eating everything.

Also, wiring looms, im thinking i should just say bugger it and purchase a new lighting part of the loom. No one would have any ideas of cost for a ph2 front loom would they?

Vinegar should also work as it's quite good at shifting limescale. You can also use an emery board to file back the terminals to fresh metal, but if can't borrow one from your wife/girlfriend/mum, and are not a big poof :ph34r: then just use a little bit of wet and dry torn in to a strip and folded into a small tab.

Chances are the problem will be entirely down to the earth block on that side of the car, on the headlamp panel. All my 205s have been iffy around there, so any time I've a bit of fiddling in the area that has slightly disturbed the wiring I've ended up with headlight, indicator, or washer problems :)

I wouldn't bother buying a whole loom, just inspect the wiring and terminals and replace as necessary, and maybe replace the earth block with ring terminals as has been suggested on here many times.

richard
I did this over the weekend. After lots of messing about attempting to clean connectors I ended up chopping them off and crimping on new. I also replaced the earthing point on the headlamp panel. This was the main cause of the faults. Have a look for my "saved from the scrapyard thread" there is a picture in there.

Vinegar should also work as it's quite good at shifting limescale. You can also use an emery board to file back the terminals to fresh metal, but if can't borrow one from your wife/girlfriend/mum, and are not a big poof :ph34r: then just use a little bit of wet and dry torn in to a strip and folded into a small tab.

Chances are the problem will be entirely down to the earth block on that side of the car, on the headlamp panel. All my 205s have been iffy around there, so any time I've a bit of fiddling in the area that has slightly disturbed the wiring I've ended up with headlight, indicator, or washer problems :)

I wouldn't bother buying a whole loom, just inspect the wiring and terminals and replace as necessary, and maybe replace the earth block with ring terminals as has been suggested on here many times.

These have already been chopped to a ring connector.....in an attempt to sort out the hazard lights problem before, yesterday i reseated everything following it just dying when backing onto the drive. Turned the key and nothing, completely dead.

Recharged battery, removed the shunt box, fuses, the battery and earthing cable/clamps. Reseated all of those (including tightening the nuts/bolts etc :) )

Check all of the lights, horn etc everythings working.

Needed to use the car last night and it starts straight away (wooohoo!) turn lights on, hmmn they look a bit dim.

Pull away and the lights go off, theres a clicky electrical sound, the lights come back on etc etc. I nurse the car back home (400 metres or so) to find the lights are dim and the n/s side indicator is on solid.

Back it onto the drive swearing a lot, and hoping it doesnt burst into flames overnight.

daza4

If you are ever in doubt over something bursting into flames overnight ( I have ) then a quick removal of the negative terminal off the battery and you have hopefully stopped any potential disasters from happening. I always do this when I think there might be an issue.

M_R_205

i had a similar problem with the indicator staying but only very dim, and the lights having a disco as i went over pot holes, what i did was..

The earth bolted to the front pannel. i welded the two halfs of that together and wire brushed the flats,

pulled the earth blocks apart and wire brushed them,

cleaned up the body with wet and dry and re fitted the blocks to the body with a spikey washer (dont know there real name lol)

and re fitted everything back together with conductive paste

bobs your uncle everything works :)

Hope this helps

Paul

richard

cheers gents,

This morning, ive been out and removed the rad side earth points, cleaned everything up and all appears to be ok. for now.....

So, at least thats done and out of the way.