• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mad_dome

1.9 Gti 274 Degree Cat Cam? Any Help

mad_dome

can anybody tell me weather this cam wud giv me gud gains???

whizzer71
can anybody tell me weather this cam wud giv me gud gains???

Depends what you have it fitted with,prob around 15hp would be a fair estimate,possibly more if fitted along with other mods ,throttle bodies or carbs etc.

:)

Fast Road Jay

i looked into cams for my engine and TBH from what i can tell anything under 280 degrees isnt really worth the time or money!!

CAMSHAFTS

Because the standard cam is a fairly rorty item anyway it pays not to go too mad in this area, especially if the standard air flap induction system is being retained and idle quality is important to you. The usual choices for a road car with the standard induction system are the Kent PT31/36 (same cam) or the Piper 270. Kent claim 14 bhp and Piper 20 bhp which I've said for a long time are fairly outrageous claims. Recently I took time out to do my own measurements of both those cam profiles which came up with pretty shocking results. The Kent PT36 actually has slightly LESS duration than the standard cam and the Piper 270 only has a degree or two more rather than the ten degrees you would expect from the quoted duration. Other than having a few thou more lift, both of those cam profiles graph out as more or less identical to the standard Peugeot cam. Close enough at least that in my opinion they can't materially affect the power curve. I calculate that the Kent one will just about match the standard cam and the Piper one maybe add 2 bhp at most.

My recommendation to anyone considering buying either the Kent PT31/36 or Piper 270 in the hope of getting a significant power increase over the standard Gti cam is simple - don't.

i was looking at 284 degreed cat cam - it'll ruin idleing ETC but top end on my rev happy 1.6 it should be v. noticable

Edited by Fast Road Jay

Mattsav

Yes it will give gains but it wont idle on the std injection.

4900365 is the wildest you can go with the std injection setup and keep an idle.

martin81
i looked into cams for my engine and TBH from what i can tell anything under 280 degrees isnt really worth the time or money!!

i was looking at 284 degreed cat cam - it'll ruin idleing ETC but top end on my rev happy 1.6 it should be v. noticable

what about 270 degree??? and what about followers??

Sign in to follow this