• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zander205

309 Rear Beam Vs. 205 Rear Beam

zander205

what is the difference in these 2 rear beams, i know the 309 it a bit wider but where or how?

Alan_M
what is the difference in these 2 rear beams, i know the 309 it a bit wider but where or how?

The crosstube is longer, and the 309 beam has larger ARB and torsion bars. Can't remember the numbers though.

stu_woac

I thought it was the trailing arms that made it wider, maybe I'm wrong, what ever it is, the extra width helps to stop the lift off oversteer if fitted to a 205, its argue if its a blessing or not tho everyone has their own veiws on it, me personally will be looking at one this year when the money is there as my car is very lively at the rear out on the track

zander205
I thought it was the trailing arms that made it wider, maybe I'm wrong, what ever it is, the extra width helps to stop the lift off oversteer if fitted to a 205, its argue if its a blessing or not tho everyone has their own veiws on it, me personally will be looking at one this year when the money is there as my car is very lively at the rear out on the track

reason for asking this is i had a accident with my 309 gti and damaged the rear beam, car still driving but it crabbing badly and getting a 309 rear beam here is stress as that is not many in barbados, i was thinking of getting a 205 rear beam and using the arms if they car work and rebuild it

what are you guys views?

kate205gti

205 1.6 beam - 52.3"

205 1.9 beam - 52.7"

309 beam - 54.01"

:geek: :D

i believe u can run a 205 beam ok on a 309?

Jrod

have you checked whats damaged? Probably just a stub axle which you can swap easily.

zander205
have you checked whats damaged? Probably just a stub axle which you can swap easily.

never tinkered with a the rear beam so what is this "stub axel"?

zander205

or to make it better can i install the 205 rear beam till ican sort out the 309 rear beam, i would have to order stuff to rebuild the 309 beam

welshpug

a 205 beam will not fit, its too narrow for the 309 shell.

zander205
a 205 beam will not fit, its too narrow for the 309 shell.

so the arms is what makes it wider or the beam?

Jrod

No, the tube.

Stub axles come through the trailing arms and the hubs bolt onto them.

zander205

ok, if i get a standard 309 beam with the drum brake setup, how easy is it to convert it to use my rear disc setup?

de Noir

All 309 beams, except GTI16 are the same.

You can use drum brake beam, but you need to swap trailing arms, as these differ on drum/disc brake setup.

It's straight and easy swap, depending on how seized your TBs and shafts are.

Disc brake rear arms are the same on 205 and 309, again with 309GTI16 being an exception.

Bearings, seals and rear beam shafts are the same on 205-306-309, maybe this helps you out.

Edited by MH_

zander205

it does help me out, thanks alot for the info and advice, will try a thing today and will keep you all posted

what i have found this morn is a 309 gl that was hit in the front and the rear beam is in great condition it has on drums, i will install that for now and maybe over the weekend convert to the rear disc or more see what is damaged on my gti rear beam

thanks again

Edited by zander205

Jrod

If you convert the base model beam with your parts I bet it will still be damaged as it will be the stube axle that is bent imo.

The actual beam itself will be fine unless you really smashed it.

zander205

ok i did the swap and just finished, the gti beam is bent a bit and the tb are as well so i am now using a standard drum setup

will pull down the beam this weekend and see what else is of no use anymore

Jrod

You bent the tb's and tube?

Bloody hell, most of it must be scrap. :P

Sign in to follow this