• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

A Dumb Question About Trigger Wheels

ifcho

Hi,

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm purchasing a Megasquirt for my 1.6 8V jetronic, and I cannot find where the trigger wheel is and what type it is?

I'm starting to think there isn't one already...

Is it on the flywheel, cause I got one flywheel here and it has only tooths for the starter but I do not see any other.

Sandy

There isn't one on the L-Jet injection 205s. You can use a flywheel from a later Motronic or Mag Marelli injection XU engine.

ifcho

I thought so :D

I'm considering now a Mi16 flywheel, as it has a bigger clutch:)

Is the flywheel the same size (as Mi16) on XU10J2/XU10J2T, etc? As these are much more common than mi16s here.

Sandy

Certainly the same as the NA XU10, but not sure about the Turbo.

welshpug

the turbo engines use a different flywheel as its bolted to the ME boxes IIRC.

ifcho

will search for a xu10 flywheel than,

thanks all :D

ifcho

After thinking about this for a while I am now in doubt which wheel to choose. I will be running wasted spark ignition with MegaSquirt/Extra, so I definitely need some timing teeth, but instead of getting the heavier flywheel with the 60-2 teeth, I could just get a 30-1 wheel to mount on the crank pulley

1.6 flywheel

+ lighter

+ already have it

- smaller clutch

- missing triggering tooths/easy and cheep to add though

XU10J flywheel

- heavier

- have to search scrappies for it

+ bigger clutch

+ 60-2 tooths already on the flywheel and an easy to install crank sensor

so what are you thoughts?

I do also have a 1.9GTI flywheel, from a `92 motronic car, which presumably will have the timing teeth, but then it will be heavier and with a small clutch

P.S. The car is a 1.6 XU 205, fully stripped, running on bike bodies, with 300deg/12mm lift newman cam and ~11:1 compression

Edited by ifcho

jackherer

Is the car in pieces? If so you may as well fit a 60-2 flywheel but if the car is together I wouldn't take the gearbox off if you can fit a seperate wheel.

ifcho

Hi,

Yes, the car is in pieces

Yesterday it was like this :)

post-8158-1199683468_thumb.jpg

jackherer

Just chuck a flywheel on and enjoy OEM reliability then :)

M_R_205

sorry for the butt in but just to double check things, the mi16`s triger wheel is the fatter `teeth` on the fly wheel? as i was going to buy a trigger wheel for my emerald setup but i wont need to bother...

ifcho

Do you know the wight of the mi16/xu10j2 wheel? Is it much heavier than the 1.6 one?

brianthemagical

is there any ned for a bigger clutch? i think the 1.9's and 1.6's use the same clutch, and a 1.9 will have more torque than a 1.6, and a standard clutch had probably taken more torque than your going to throw at it, unless your running wide slicks, towing a trailer and drag racing. the lighter weight of the car will also aid your clutch. you caould always use it as an excuse to get an aftermarket flywheel and clutch.

cybernck

if it's staying 8v and N/A, then just fit the 205 Motronic flywheel you've already got there :D.

ifcho

I'll probably follow your advice cybernck.

Although I will be going to some scrappies these days for some xu10 sumps/pas racks and if I come accross a mi16 flywheel I may get it.

And yes, since I started these flywheel saga, I have been looking for an aftermarket alu flywheel.

Will wait to finish at least a few races with this setup though :D

ifcho

Ok. I have found a flywheel from a xu10j4 and now I should buy a clutch kit.

From searching around thes ervicebox, it seems I need to get a xu10j2 kit (306XSI) right?

The xu10j4 kits are with some bearing integrated into the pressing plate.

The XSI kit has separate bearing and I will just use a generic 205 gti bearing instead?

jackherer

What gearbox do you have? If its a BE3 then get a clutch for a 1.9 Mi16 XU9J4.

ifcho

Yes, it is a BE3 from a 205 1.9 GTI

Sign in to follow this