• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

Seam Sealer Problems, Help.....

yeti-dj

Hello, right i had to remove the large amount of seam sealer that sits at the bottom of the rear quarter where it meets the sill (not the seam that always cracks but where this leads too round under the arch).

The sealer that i removed was about an 1" thick to fill the gap thats there where all the panels meet, probelm is i have now applied the sealer to fill the gap and it has been drying for 3 days but is no closer to being ready to paint than the day i applied it.

So going to give up remove the sealer and start again.

So here are the questions, do i applied the sealer in thin coats to help drying, the garage is nice and warm but this doesnt seem to help so is there anything i can do to quicken the drying time?

Or will this sealer never really "set" fully and i should just get on with painting, i do have tiger seal so would this be better?

Seam sealer i am using is Tetrosyl BS5001

welshpug

what does it say on the tube? :P my impression was that seam sealer never set hard.

Edited by welshpug

toddydal

you want a bond and seal,like sikaflex,you havent used windscreen sealer have you?as that will just skin over and not go hard

Paintguy

An inch is a pretty big gap to fill with sealer!

I can't find any info on that particular sealer, but using a few thinner coats might help. Is it a brush on type, or is it applied from a cartridge/tube? Many sealers (like Tigerseal) are also moisture curing, so heat doesn't help a great deal.

yeti-dj

hello, ye i know its not ment to "set" but after 3 days its still as soft as when it came out of the tub so not really much use, And yes it is the brush on kind.

What have other people done to fill this gap at the bottom of the panel then?

Think i might abandon the seam sealer and give Tiger seal a try,

Anyone got any suggestions what else i could use?

Thanks....

welshpug

can you take a picture of the gap? i'm struggling to picture how you can have such a big gap.

Paintguy

^^ As above please.

B1ack_Mi16

Are you guys not familiar with the 205 shell? Dissappointed :)

I'm pretty sure this is where he mean, there's quite a bunch of seam sealer needed to fill the gap where the sill overhangs/sticks out from the inner wing.

seamsealer.jpg

toddydal

ye thats were i thought it was as well,and thats supposed to be hard(like rubber)not soft,its the same bond seal what peugeot used to bond the front wings on with and they use s*itloads of the stuff

yeti-dj

Cant get my camera to work but yes Black MI16 is spot on, a gold star to that man, so you guys any hints as to what i can use to fill this gap. Would seem like a daft idea to leave the gap for all the crap off the road to collect in.

Certainly was very full of seam sealer as it took an age to cut of to do a wee bit of welding.

Thanks for the help and photo...

Paintguy
Are you guys not familiar with the 205 shell? Dissappointed :lol:

He didn't say it was a 205 :)

Well that's my lame excuse - and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

The factory may well have used a 2-part seam sealer (like U-Pol Stonghold 909) which cures through chemical reaction no matter how thickly it's put on. Either find yourself something like that, or use several thinner layers of the stuff you have :)

yeti-dj

Haha, your right didnt mention it was a 205..oops..

Anyway given up with the seam sealer i have so no got a tube of Tiger seal so will give that a try if that fails then will need to find some 2-part sealer.

Why is it these little easy jobs always end up being the worst????

Thanks for the help.....

Sign in to follow this