• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Anyone Using An Idle Control Valve With Emerald

vern

As title is anyone using an Mi ICV with an emerald ecu, if so what results are you getting ie able to control idle properly etc?. if you have got it working what settings have you used.

I can not get it to control idle, it will not raise revs, and anything above 36% cycle the engine just dies.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sandy

Fuel compensation most likely. I set up an MGF with one the other week and getting the fuel right was critical.

vern

When I first started it up with the default emerald settings, it would hardly run missing and farting absoloutly stunck off fuel, so I removed all extra fueling relating to the ICV, ran a bit better, but still smelt a bit rich but would only tick over at about 1000rpm, nothing would make idle raise, adjusted the fueling and cycle of the ICV did nothing, adjusting the cycle past anything more than mid 30% would cause the engine to die.

Sandy

You're peeing in the wind without a steady WB Lambda reading to go by really.

vern

Once again Sandy thanks for help.

I do have a WB lambda, what AFR's should I be aiming for but like I said it seems to miss a bit so this will put ratios all over the place.

cybernck

there's a lot of info about AFR's already available on the forum :rolleyes:.

Sandy

14.2:1 around idle should make it nice and stable. Try to watch the AFR changes as the ICV operates and get the pattern. Use the pattern to improve the compensation.

If it's a problem when you start it, the thing to look at is the Inj Corrections page and watch the cursor tracing through the start up enrichment. If it's a problem during normal idling beyond the start up map, go to Additional maps>Idle air control and check the "Additional fuelling for IACV".

petert

I know modern cars use 14+:1 for idle, but I like to use 13:1. It makes for a much happier motor and makes it more resilient to other changes.

Sandy

This is the difficulty of offering mapping advice over the internet though isn't it? It's a feel thing!

I suggested 14.2:1 as halfway house, I agree that grumpy engines usually idle better around 13:1, but on good mannered engines that "want" 14.7:1 or leaner sometimes, 13:1 can result in problems pulling down the idle enough, which I'm concerned for vern could mean the ICV operating with poor resolution and/or having to wind back the ignition so much the emissions will suffer possibly. My old 205 Auto (Carb XU5) was happiest idling around 15.8:1 bizarrely and my Honda engine just soars with anything richer than 14.0:1 and 15 degrees, with the throttles damn near stuck shut (no, there aren't any air leaks :rolleyes:)

What's the spec vern?

Edited by sandy309

vern

It seems to run fine on start up, then when it drops off the start up map, it seems to run rougher. I am getting an AFR of about 15 once warmed up at idle, so I need to look at richening it up a bit, I have tried changing fueling at idle but it goes from running well to stalling in about 5 adjustments of the fueling is this about right.

Sandy

Watch the AFR, that's what matters. I'm guessing the problem is with the Additional maps>Idle air control>Additional fuelling for IACV settings.

vern

Many thanks for your input Sandy, will post up if I get it working correctly.

Will have a go hopefully today or tomorrow, to try and improve things.

vern

Tip for the day, ensure fuel cutoff on overrun is off.

Making progress now still not much adjustment past 40% cycle rate on the ICV, but this is now giving an idle speed of about 2500rpm, with good afr values of about 14, just a matter of now getting it set up with out the engine over heating.

Sandy

Goodo B)

vern

Nearly there now just, going to improve the cold start now.

Should I be using, the idle stabilisation by use of ignition advance as well as the ICV.

Sandy

With an ICV fitted and working, I would flatten the ignition values and do it all on the valve, or you'll struggle to smooth it out.

vern

When looking at the emerald live adjustments screen, the revs are raising and falling by about 200ish revs is this about right.

Sandy

Once it's honed nicely, it should be steady, but 200 rpm isn't bad.

Sign in to follow this