• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

Shells And Bearings

chrisj21

Hi all, just wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of the best place to get the bearings and shells to rebuild my bottom end and other parts for a general engine rebuild. it will be a mildly tuned 1.9

thanks

edthedrummer

try autofive or hiflow heads. both of them stock the bits you need i think.

I don't know what the service is like regarding either of them, as i haven't ordered anything for my rebuild yet.

Alan_M
Hi all, just wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of the best place to get the bearings and shells to rebuild my bottom end and other parts for a general engine rebuild. it will be a mildly tuned 1.9

thanks

Try QEP, run by MattSav off here. I think they are forum sponser too, so maybe a small discount.

Give them a call and tell them what you want.

chrisj21

im not sure what i will need in total so any help there would be good,im a novice at this

Miles

Take your crank etc down to your local Engneering firm and they will measure up, Grind or polish the crank and supply the bearings to suit, Gasket set's I always get from GSF and never had any problems with them

welshpug

exactly what I was going to suggest! have a look in the yellow pages or ask a local garage where would the best place to use.

Sloppy

as above looking at the prices some of the 'big' engine suppliers/tuners charge i think you would be much better off finding somwhere local to supply the bits, im from leeds and theres a place called bradford grinders which carry out head engine work and supply parts for half the price and are long established.

As welshpug said get you self in the yellow pages.

edthedrummer

Can anybody tell me what is meant by a head gasket set? or a lower gasket set? I will need to buy a complete set of new gaskets/oil stem seals/ bearings and want to know if there's some rebuild kit available.

how do i know what size bearings i need?

welshpug

leave the bearing selection to the experts B)

a Head gasket Kit is exactly that, every gasket or seal you would require when removing and replacing a cylinder head, conversely a bottom end kit I would imagine would have similar contents!

if you don't know ask the suppliers as it does vary, i.e quite a lot of Head kits DONT have the head gasket itself, as you can get different thicknesses.

edthedrummer

Alright. I'll have a hunt about.

Cheers.

JimLad

Hi Chris

I've used both Chesman Engineering and Coventry Metalling and Boring who are fairly local to you for work like crank grinds, head skimming, honing etc and they're both very friendly and helpful. Not too expensive either.

They'll inspect, measure and crack detect your crank for a small fee (about a tenner I think) and if necessary grind it accordingly for an additional fee (about £50), and of course advise you what size bearings you need.

For bearings, gaskets, rings etc I've used a company called Pistons and Components in Glasgow who are very competitive and professional in my experience.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, I've sent you a pm about your seats for sale :unsure:

Jim

Mattsav

We've got eveything on the shelf. You can buy cheaper but we only sell parts that we are happy to build engine with.

Generally you get what you pay for. I've had 2 customers with RS Turbo's now that have blown FIA head gaskets within 10 Miles (but they are £5 cheaper than the Payen item!)

Sign in to follow this