• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mad_dome

Webbers With What Cam?

mad_dome

hello everyone. as the new year is fast upon us i am hopeing to make a few changes to my pride and joy.

Its a 1.9 8v gti.

However im in abit of a pickel because im getting webbers but am unsure of what cam to go for.

any infomation on this would be much appriciated cheers.

Anulfo

piper 270

mad_dome

have never heared of these! whats sort of results could i be expecting?

rescue dude

Sorry to hijack the thread but it's basically the same question as Mad dome's, I'm running Webers on a lightened and balanced roadgoing/ hillclimb car and was wondering how lumpy a cam can i get away with to make it still not too bad to drive on the road but give me more power?

wardy18

ive done alot of research into this and have found that CATCAMS has been at the top of most peoples recomendations

a Mild Rally cam from Catcams is profiled in a different way, i cant remember which way round it is but they either have longer duration and lower lift or higher lift and shorter duration, the results have been much better than any piper or kent cam so thats what im going for

the only thing the cam im goin for wont idle without hunting below 2500rpm, but as its purely a race car this is fine for me, give them a call as the website isnt very good and they've changed all the cams around now and may not have updated the site yet!! but just explain exactly what ur looking for from the car and they'll tell u what u need

mad_dome
ive done alot of research into this and have found that CATCAMS has been at the top of most peoples recomendations

a Mild Rally cam from Catcams is profiled in a different way, i cant remember which way round it is but they either have longer duration and lower lift or higher lift and shorter duration, the results have been much better than any piper or kent cam so thats what im going for

the only thing the cam im goin for wont idle without hunting below 2500rpm, but as its purely a race car this is fine for me, give them a call as the website isnt very good and they've changed all the cams around now and may not have updated the site yet!! but just explain exactly what ur looking for from the car and they'll tell u what u need

cheers for the info! have you got the number?

j_turnell

If your running carbs you can pretty much go as lumpy as you like. What ever you do dont get a piper 270 its useless, basically a standard cam so pointless really. A nice lumpy catcam or a grp A cam of some description should do the job nicely. With you using carbs idle issues are not a problem as you set the idle mixture sperately, thats one of the large benefits. So you should be able to get a nice steady 800rpm idle if the correct jets/setup is used. I'd do a search as using carbs has been covered lots.

shine

I've run with 45's for last two seassons using a Kent PT27 cam. No problems with idle, stays perfect on 900rpm, and if you find your engine rough in lower rpms( 2-3000) it really helps reducing choke size. Started on 40 and found that 36mm's makes engine very smooth and effective round low speed corners.

mad_dome

what sort of feel do u get with Kent PT27 cam? does it add o lot more power?

sutol
Sorry to hijack the thread but it's basically the same question as Mad dome's, I'm running Webers on a lightened and balanced roadgoing/ hillclimb car and was wondering how lumpy a cam can i get away with to make it still not too bad to drive on the road but give me more power?

If you alter the spring weights in the dizzy and reduce the total advance(if you have one that is) you can get away with lots of low down advance for a smooth idle with almost any cam.

I've had a Mini engine ticking over luverly with a 286 duration cam. :)

rescue dude

Thanks for the advice guys.

I currently run a Kent PT36 on my 1.9, 8 valve, which is not a lot more than standard but gives nice torque improvements. The reason for this was it was the biggest cam i could run using the standard injection.

I now however have a pair of 40 Webers fitted so will have a chat with Catcams as they'll be at Autosport.

Something like 286 duration i reckon will be about right without changing the rods and pistons etc.

DjB

I must have this whole big cam with carbs thing ass backwards....

I thought it was harder to get a big cam'd engine to idle smoothly with carbs rather than efi. Sorry to go off topic but how far can you go with a std computer in relation to big cams? I've been debating whether to go carbs or stick it out with efi for my next 205....

Chris

Longun

I'm running a mildish 285 piper cam and it idles fine. You can hear its a bit lumpy but as above the idle can be controlled better on carbs. Running my 285 cam on the standard injection before I fitted the 40's was a different story. Would stall all the time and also kangarooing mid revs on part throttle all the time.

DjB

Ok....

Is there anyway the standard ecu can remapped to suit a cam or is it better to go aftermarket ecu?

Chris

Longun

Much better to go aftermarket. You can get piggyback units like unichip but I'd go for full managment.

Baz
I'm running a mildish 285 piper cam and it idles fine. You can hear its a bit lumpy but as above the idle can be controlled better on carbs. Running my 285 cam on the standard injection before I fitted the 40's was a different story. Would stall all the time and also kangarooing mid revs on part throttle all the time.

Any idea what sort of power yours is making and where?

So on std injection the 285 is crap midrange?

I'm planning a similar spec to yours for my Autocross car, was also wondering what the 300ish cam would do, (with twin40 webers) as i need a fairly broad spread of torque from mid to high revs really.

hodgy

at the moment im runnig pts 285 max torque cam with R1 carbs as a daily driver and mine is fine!

once you play with the timing anit its fine

Longun
Any idea what sort of power yours is making and where?

So on std injection the 285 is crap midrange?

I'm planning a similar spec to yours for my Autocross car, was also wondering what the 300ish cam would do, (with twin40 webers) as i need a fairly broad spread of torque from mid to high revs really.

Yes on standard managment with the standard injection it worked but just not well at all and would also pink at low revs. It was only ever a temp solution whist I was waiting for my carbs.

Once on 40's then the mid range got some punch. Its really strong mid range once the 40's were on. Below is my power graph. Its only a 1.6 and the car spec is in my sig. Head work would make a massive difference on my engine and is the next item on my list.

Torque

Power

Edited by Longun

hodgy

so from LONGUN's power graph ive got the same mods just im gonna be putting webber 45's on my 1.9 engine, i should have 150+bhp once its set up

Longun

Although possible I wouldn't expect a 1.9 on 45's to be 20bhp up on a 1.6 on 40's maybe 10 - 15 would be closer the mark. depends how strong the engine was before the mods were fitted as most 1.9's don't tend to get the standard figure of 130 but the 1.6 always seemed to get closer to its standard figure of 115 (later engine). But you never know, have you got it booked in to get setup as am interested how much more a 1.9 would have to offer.

Baz

Thanks Joe. I wouldn't mind performance like that at all, should be well suited really, and make it very competitive! :)

Sign in to follow this