• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paul_portsmouth

Odd Prob

paul_portsmouth

it seems wierd just been doing some work on my car and now when the car isnt under laod it doesnt want to idle its an intermittant thing. starts fine cranking speeds are good but if im driving along say and pull up to the lights when i dip the clutch it cuts out a

any ideas???

also does anyone have a pic of the 2 spade connectors on the back of the thermostat i dont know if i put them back the right way round

jackherer
just been doing some work on my car

What work have you been doing?

also does anyone have a pic of the 2 spade connectors on the back of the thermostat i dont know if i put them back the right way round

If they are the wrong way round the water temp gauge and light wont work so swap them until they do.

paul_portsmouth

there the right way round then and my dip light has sudenly started working again too :S

i did the head gasket all seems fine has power no smoke coming from the back ( had loads before) just seems odd ive changed the ignition leads and plugs too ( wrong gaps maybe???) and done a full engine flush oil and water

jackherer

Is the throttle cable releasing properly? Can you hear the throttle switch click when the pedal is released?

paul_portsmouth

as far as i can tell fsome reason i think its ignition related

paul_portsmouth

this is still happening

on cold start up sounds like shes on 3 cylinders and very low revs (400) when it warms up pulls strong and revs really smooth but as soon as i dip the clutch from high revs or under load the engine cuts out when i lift the clutch again it bumps the engine back into life

when warm she idles on all 4 but it is hunting a hell of alot

anyone had this before??

gti-si

Could be a few things really. Are there any air leaks? If you did the headgasket the inlet will off come off etc, did you cange the gasket on this and seal it correctly etc? Failing an airleak somewhere it could be a dodgy ignition coil? Then again, a headgasket change wouldn't effect it so I don't think it would be that. Air leak sounds the best bet

GLPoomobile

As with these sorts of problems there's a few things it could be, but I'll suggest checking the AFM as it seems similar to the problems I had with my Mi.

Mine started cutting out in traffic when coming to a stop (i.e. clutch was in or it was in neutral. The revs would bounce up and down, hunting about, and keep cutting out if it dropped too low. A few days later it wouldn't run at all, when starting it was rough as a pig, running on 3 cylinders, and I had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Once past about 2k it would rev Ok.

Turned out my AFM flap had jammed fully open so it was massively overfueling and hence wouldn't idle. I unjammed the flap and cleaned everything up but the spring tension was way down (the flap should have a lot of tension and snap closed) so although it ran ok again, it did the same trick of hunting everytime I came off the throttle.

Big_Jimbob

Sounds like a similar problem as to what im having...

check my post on here...

im sure mine is a bad connection on the 3 pin plug from the dissy to the ignition amp, as if i wiggle this it will run fine...

thanks

Jim

Sign in to follow this