• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
whizzer71

274 Degree Cat Cam

whizzer71

Just got this off Ashley (Cheers Ash) just wondered in anyone has any info on timing it up,Came with a vernier pulley do I really need to use this (Im a bit of a cam virgin on 8v XU'S) or can I get away with using the original stock peugeot cam pulley ? :blush: (Gonna fit it to my std 205 1.9 Gti)

Have fitted loads of modded cams to 16 valvers dont have a problem with shimming 8V cams (easy peasy !) just never needed to set one up using a vernier pulley before, a step by step "Idiots :D " guide would be nice like "Windows for dummies" :D .

My Thanks as always !!

Tris

petert

It's easy if you have a dial indicator and magnetic stand, and know how much inlet lift there should be at TDC. Just adjust the vernier pulley accordingly! What data do you have?

309PUG

Checkout CatCams website, it will give you all the necessary setting up data your looking for.

Chris

16v205

To setup lift @ tdc the first thing you need to do is find absolute top dead centre. Easier with the head off and access to the flywheel but I guess you could use some welding rod or similar down the plug hole onto the underside of the dti.

Do all your markings and measurements relative to piston #1. You need to rotate the engine to find tdc, and as you’ll see there will be several degrees of movement as the conrod rocks over leaving the piston crown still. You need to mark the beginning and end of tdc relative to the flywheel or crank pulley then find the midway point between the measurements. This will be your atdc point.

Once marked move the dti onto the tappet area. If for example your cam say inlet 2mm lift @ tdc then you will want to turn the cam until the inlet valve has opened 2mm on cylinder #1 whilst the pistons are at tdc that you already marked. After tensioning the belt rotate the engine a few times and check your measurements again to make sure everything is as it should be.

You’ll only need a vernier if you cant get the lift @ tdc

Rich

whizzer71
It's easy if you have a dial indicator and magnetic stand, and know how much inlet lift there should be at TDC. Just adjust the vernier pulley accordingly! What data do you have?

I have no data at all just got the cam and vernier pulley and thats it,have checked the cat cams web site and cant seem to find anything other than the valve clearances.

;)

whizzer71
To setup lift @ tdc the first thing you need to do is find absolute top dead centre. Easier with the head off and access to the flywheel but I guess you could use some welding rod or similar down the plug hole onto the underside of the dti.

Do all your markings and measurements relative to piston #1. You need to rotate the engine to find tdc, and as you’ll see there will be several degrees of movement as the conrod rocks over leaving the piston crown still. You need to mark the beginning and end of tdc relative to the flywheel or crank pulley then find the midway point between the measurements. This will be your atdc point.

Once marked move the dti onto the tappet area. If for example your cam say inlet 2mm lift @ tdc then you will want to turn the cam until the inlet valve has opened 2mm on cylinder #1 whilst the pistons are at tdc that you already marked. After tensioning the belt rotate the engine a few times and check your measurements again to make sure everything is as it should be.

You’ll only need a vernier if you cant get the lift @ tdc

Rich

Cheers Rich I think thats pretty much explained it,I seem to remember that on the earlier (pre cat) gti's there are timing points on the flywheel that can be viewed through the window on top of the gearbox bell housing close to where the starter bolts on.

Ill have to see if I can find out the setting data for it next,have mailed Qep so I'll have to await their reply but I guess due to the fact its crimbo time I prob wont get a reply till the new year.

Thanks for all your help guys !

;)

16v205

I think youll find you'll still have to find atdc with a dial guage to be accurate, I bolted a steel plate across the cam cover bolts so the magnetic stand had something to attach to.

Rich

whizzer71
I think youll find you'll still have to find atdc with a dial guage to be accurate, I bolted a steel plate across the cam cover bolts so the magnetic stand had something to attach to.

Rich

Cheers Rich

Tris

Sign in to follow this