• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mi16nut

Nearside Grumbling

mi16nut

I seem to have a grumbling coming from my front wheel arch area, only really noticeable when pushing on. During sessions at Cadwell last week it appeared to be getting louder & I swear I could feel some roughness under my feet when sitting in the passenger seat; not something I do normally. There isn't any knocking at full lock & when on track it seems to start in corners but extends down the straight too. I drove on 2 sets of wheels & it was no different.

I guess the suspects are driveshaft (although it is a GKN one that has done @ 6k miles only) or could it be wheel bearing? As said it's not really noticeable on the road, but it has been present since early July when i first noticed at Donington.

The car is running 309 shafts/ wishbones & a Quaife ATB.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Mark.

Stu

Strangley enough ive got the exact same problem, the bearing isnt noisy, but when the nearside wheel is loaded in a bend its got a rough rumble to it with some vibration through the floor pan, so id be interested to see what you find, my money was on a wheel bearing but i havent had chance to check yet.

Sorry for the hijack!

McPikie

Could be the unloaded CV coming through

Or the diff?

Dan Ingram

I'd go for the CV joint. I've had the problem before. You could try re packing the joint with CV grease to see if that helps but more the likely a replacement one is in order.

When I did mine I replaced the driveshaft only to find the problem re appeared after 500miles. Turns out it was a faulty driveshaft that was replaced under warranty.

Of course I could be completly wrong and it could be something else but its worth having a look at.

kyepan

i'm also getting this going on right hand corners, low milage recon driveshaft, have new bearings, bones, struts, topmounts.

sounds like a rub rub rub wheel speed noise when cornering hard.

Sign in to follow this