• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Early Gti Heads

Pob

Hi,

I've been told that the really early GTi engines have bigger valves than the later type? Is this true? Was there any power increase over the later engines?

Thanks,

Dan

GLPoomobile

No. It's the other way around - the early 1.6s (before Pug released the 1.9) had smaller valves.

Tom Fenton

The early 1.6 engines (pre 1985 I think) were 105bhp, the later 1.6 engines were 115bhp, I'm not certain of the changes made to gain the extra 10bhp, if anything I'd have thought it was the more powerful engine that has the larger valves though.

Pob
The early 1.6 engines (pre 1985 I think) were 105bhp, the later 1.6 engines were 115bhp, I'm not certain of the changes made to gain the extra 10bhp, if anything I'd have thought it was the more powerful engine that has the larger valves though.

Oh Ic, so 1.6 and 1.9 heads are exactly the same? Well on the later type heads

Thanks,

Dan

richsmells
Oh Ic, so 1.6 and 1.9 heads are exactly the same? Well on the later type heads

Thanks,

Dan

Yeah, later type 1.6 & 1.9 heads are the same except for the latest 1.9 heads (some K - L) which ran Motronic management (no distributor).

Rob Turbo

The head was still the same though wasn't it? Just the thermostat housing that changed to a blanked off version?

Miles

Nope different again as the late 1.6 head's are different, Both with slightly larger combustion chambers, The 1.9 Gentry's & CTi's run even deeper ones with very small valves

Pob
Nope different again as the late 1.6 head's are different, Both with slightly larger combustion chambers, The 1.9 Gentry's & CTi's run even deeper ones with very small valves

With these differences where there any differences in power/torque?

Thanks,

Dan

petert

The CTi head (DFZ) has 39/33mm diameter valves, the same as the early 1.6GTi, but they are 3mm longer, due to the deeper chamber. The other heads have 41/34.5mm valves (or something like that).

Miles

The Unleaded version of the 1.6 claims the same power with the slight engine differance, But as they vary anyway no-one would notice a thing, Only the small valve version's will make a differance on power

Sign in to follow this