• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrblonde

Oil Filler Cap

mrblonde

hi ya,i looked at a photo of a 1900 8v engine on here and the breather pipes that go from the oil cap to the throttle body etc have been removed and blocked off.is this ok to do this and what does it do?.

pip470

Its ok to block of the throttle body end but you shouldnt really block of the filler cap end as the crank case needs to breath. If you run a pipe from the filler cap to a plastic coke bottle that will be better or buy a nice catch tank from flebay. Not sure if why they run the breather into the inlet i suppose its just a way of getting rid of the oily gasseous crankcase pressure. You will be getting cleaner air with it disconected bieng burnt which can only be a good thing, but also not letting the crancase breath is a bad thing.

Mikey S
Not sure if why they run the breather into the inlet i suppose its just a way of getting rid of the oily gasseous crankcase pressure. You will be getting cleaner air with it disconected bieng burnt which can only be a good thing, but also not letting the crancase breath is a bad thing.

its illegal to vent crankcase gases to the atmosphere hence why they run a sealed breather system. using a catch tank is a good idea as it stops oil vapour being burnt but it will need to be emptied every so often or you can buy ones that return back to the sump.

mrblonde

yeah cool mate.so its ok to block the throtle body,but not the oil cap?.

Mikey S
yeah cool mate.so its ok to block the throtle body,but not the oil cap?.

yes

Sign in to follow this