• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Norpug205

S1 205 1.9 Gti Starting 309 Gti16 Engine Conversion

Guest Norpug205

Hi Guys

Anyone know if i can use the flywheel of the orginal 1.9 engine for the 309Gti16 engine? Seems to look the same but im a little afraid the timing will be off. The reason for this swap is that i already have a sinter/sachs competition clutch fittet and i want to use it in my conversion.

As for a wiring guide i only seem to find for the 205 S2/mi16 conversion. I will do some more searches but my 309 gti16 engine comes out of a S2 205 Gti and is modified as a "plug and play" for this but this seems a little different from mine. I have the converted loom with 2 brown multiplugs and the ECU but my loom that came out with the engine is the ECU and loom and only one plug with abt 4 wires in it. The wire has a greenish colour.. Any ideas?

Edited by Norpug205

pug_ham

I'm not sure about the wiring on your car but the original 205 flywheel can't be used on an Mi because they don't have the toothed flywheel thats needed for Crank Angle Sensor on the 16v engine management system to work.

The original one one your 205 isn't suitable, its a basic CAS that only works when plugged into the correct diagnostics & tuning equipment at a dealership.

AFAIK the wiring for your car will come out of the opposite side of the engine bay bulkhead to the ecu wiring & you'll need to find the individual wires in that loom to splice & connect the GTi16 loom into.

Graham.

Guest Norpug205

Ok, thanks Graham. Guess i was on the right track regarding the flywheel.

As for the wiring i hope someone have done this before and have some advise, but my search will continue:)

Otherwise i may have to start a thread regarding this later on.

Cheers

Bjorn

pug_ham

AFAIK your tachymetric relay could be in the engine bay in front of the battery tray which has some of the wires you need to connect to the GTi16 loom & two of the other wires (coil switched feed & rev counter wire) are at the coil by the suspension turret so it shouldn't be to hard.

I'll ask m@tt to have a look as his car was wired up to an Mi16 loom & his is a similar age to yours for the wiring.

Graham.

Guest Norpug205

Cheers Graham, now I have a general idea where to start. Still welding up some parts in the front end since road salt has taken its toll on the 20 years old tin can:) Hopefully ill start the wiring between christmas and new year and hope to gather the info i need before that.

Thanks mate

Bjorn

Sign in to follow this