• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Pas Bottle As Coolant Tank?

Rob Turbo

With my 306 turbo conversion I need to find a coolant expansion tank because most 306's don't have an expansion tank which is sh*t! Now space is a bit tight and about the only space I can see that would fit such an object is behind the drivers headlight, I've got a couple of vauxhall and ford expansion tanks kicking about and none of them fit anywhere in the bay, but with my 306 not having power steering I thought of using a 306 power steering bottle, which is made to fit there!

Now here's the thing, will it be ok?

Pros:

It fits!

It has a hole at the bottom to feed the system and a smaller hole at the top for the, errrm, smaller pipe!!

Cons:

It doesn't have a pressure relief valve in the cap

How much of a problem will this be? Does it make it a complete no-no? I've already bought a power steering bottle though, before I thought about the pressure relief cap! I've tried a couple of different caps from the coolant expansion tanks I have and none of them fit!

The other option I've thought of is an expansion tank from a 406, it goes in the same place but there's probably more space in a 406 ,I don't really want to buy one incase it won't fit!

Does anyone have any info/suggestions (or free expansion tanks that might fit!!)?

Thanks,

Rob

brianthemagical

i take it the rad your using is a tight fit, hence ruling the rad out as an option?

Rob Turbo

Well I'm using the rad from a 2.0 8v turbo, because the sides have a space for the intercooler pipes to fit past, only just though, I'm not 100% sure that it will fit without modifying the shell but I know that it will fit somehow because I've seen it done before.

The standard 1.4 rad has a huge gap at one side but no gap at the other, but that doesn't even do a good job at cooling the 1.4 engine! Other options for a rad I suppose could be s16 or d turbo, both have the expansion tank built in, but neither will have a gap for the intercooler pipe on the drivers side because this is where the expansion tank is and I'm not sure what the clearence is like on the passenger side. Another problem is the rad can't be moved across even if there is enough space at the passenger side because the bottom rad hose goes through a hole in the shell and it would be a lot of work to move the rad across because of this.

I suppose the only problem with a PAS bottle not having a pressure relief valve would be if the engine over heated, causing pressure in the coolant system, it would break something! So as long as it doesn't over heat I should be ok? :angry:

24seven

if it does overhaet, you could end up with h/g failure or a pipe bursting. best find a place for a pressure erlease cap.

Edited by 24Seven

Rob Turbo

That's what I'm worried about, is there any type of pressure relief valve that I could fit to a coolant pipe somewhere perhaps?

jackherer

I think you can get top rad hoses with pressure release cap fittings on them for kit cars.

welshpug

have a look on 306 gti6 site at the supercharger conversions, they are using the standard gti6 radiators, slimline fans and quite a sizeable Intercooler that's piped under the rad.

Rob Turbo

The problem with using a gti6 rad now is that I have already bought the rad, intercooler and loads of pipework, so it would mean a complete rethink!

Them filler adaptors seem like a good idea, I'll keep them in mind :D I went down the shed before and dug out an expansion tank from an xm (that my last engine came out of), it's got one of the small pipes snapped off and I'll need to find a coolant level sensor or a big bolt to block the hole off, but that will fit in if I remove the screen wash filler neck!

Mikey S

take that pas tank down to your local motorfactors and try a rover 200 or a vauxhall astra/vectra cap on it before you rule it out. there both screw on caps that may fit your pas tank.

Rob Turbo

I've tried a mk2 astra cap and an orion cap and they are both too big, I have to go tomorrow anyway to get a thermostat so I'll take it down with me and see if they can try a few caps on.

Thanks for the suggestion ^_^

Phil H

I have a surplus Citroen Picasso expansion cap, which I can see if it threads on a 205 power steering bottle I have. Any use?

Rob Turbo

That would be spot on mate!

Thanks,

Rob

Phil H

I tried it and it threads on ok, athough I am uncertain how well it will seal up, as I can't pressure test it.

Pm me your address and I will pop it in the post for you to make your own mind up.

Rob Turbo

PM sent!

Thanks,

Rob

Sign in to follow this