• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Gti 6 Gearbox Modifications

wardy18

Hi all

Is it possible to fit the Final Drive CWP from a Mi16 box (4.43) to a GTi 6 Gearbox seeing as one is 5 speed and the others is 6 speed?!

I wanna lower the ratios and the 3rd 4th and 5th from a GTi 6 box is much better and would give me more pull through the gears instead of the usual excellent pull in first and 2nd and then dies off slightly after that!

Regards

Simon

Miles

No in short, The output shaft is longer to cope with the 6th Gear

wardy18

yeh thats whats i thought

so on to the next idea, can i remove the 3rd 4th and 5th gears from the GTi6 and put them in a 205 BE3 or BE1 Box along with a 4.43 cwp?!

thanx

simon

whizzer71
yeh thats whats i thought

so on to the next idea, can i remove the 3rd 4th and 5th gears from the GTi6 and put them in a 205 BE3 or BE1 Box along with a 4.43 cwp?!

thanx

simon

Dont Know 100% but I seem to remember that the Gti 6 gears are slightly thinner,but Ive never had a 6 spd and a 5 spd stripped side by side so I may be wrong.

It may even be that only 5th and 6th are thinner to get them both into that extended housing, Ah heck anyone else got an answer ???

^_^

Batfink

i had a gti-6 box and the only way to make it suitable for racing was stupidly expensive. i went back to a five speed on miles advice

Miles

All the gear's are different, The problem area's are the fixed gear's on the input shaft and even reverse gear as the pitch and gear cutting was different between various boxes,

I;ve modded a 6 speed into a 5 speed as I needed the bellhousing, I know I could have used a late 5 speed but it's what i had laying around in stk and it was brand new too

C_W
I wanna lower the ratios and the 3rd 4th and 5th from a GTi 6 box is much better and would give me more pull through the gears instead of the usual excellent pull in first and 2nd and then dies off slightly after that!

Sound like you want a 1.9 box with 1.6 final drive.

Batfink

I fitted a 1.9 with a 1.6 final drive and it gave the same pull through the gears as the gti-6 box, certainly they are very similar in gearing- both were fitted to 205's with mi16/tb's

Someone get that gearbox spreadsheet out :lol:

Miles

I'm using the 1.9 gears with the 4.4, Really wanted the 4.8 but couldn;t find one in time, The 4.4 is still too low really for me with 8500rpm to play with

whizzer71
I fitted a 1.9 with a 1.6 final drive and it gave the same pull through the gears as the gti-6 box, certainly they are very similar in gearing- both were fitted to 205's with mi16/tb's

Someone get that gearbox spreadsheet out :P

What this one ?

www.mckeown-enterprises.co.uk/downloads/205ratiosGti6.xls

:lol:

wardy18

ive spent hours looking at tha spreadsheet as ive had it for a while lol

yeh my original plan was to have the 1900 box with a 4.4 as i found from that spreadsheet that anythin more than a 4.4 made 1st and 2nd ridiculous (all rev and no pull) but even with the 4.4 there is such a jump between 2nd and then 3rd 4th and 5th which is why i wanted the GTi 6 3rd 4th and 5th as they are much better ratios

ah well looks like ill just have to stick with the 1900 box and a 4.4 cwp!!

Can you fot any other cwp to the gti-6 box as standard ts only 4.05?!

Miles

Yes you can, But they are over £500.00 for the set, Not sure what is in the 307 HDi 137 thou

wardy18

well i think to suit my budget at the moment ill stick with the 1900 box and 4.43 cwp and see how it takes me next year, if i still feel i havent got enough pull ill either go for a gti-6 box or increase to 4.8 cwp

will need to check actually cause i think im goin to be running 16" Compomotives next year

whizzer71
well i think to suit my budget at the moment ill stick with the 1900 box and 4.43 cwp and see how it takes me next year, if i still feel i havent got enough pull ill either go for a gti-6 box or increase to 4.8 cwp

will need to check actually cause i think im goin to be running 16" Compomotives next year

What spec's your engine ?,and what do you use your car for ?

:)

wardy18

this year the engine will be a 1900 with a small amount of head work and good head skim to increase the CR, also running on 45's and with a Catcam Rally Cam, dont know what figures it'll be pushin out but thats all my budget can stetch to this year, the following year will be a 2.2ltr conversionits purely for hillclimb/sprint useoh adn im running on 16" alloys so i might try to get the 4.7/4.8 cwp to bring the ratios down to counter act the larger circumfrence!!

Sign in to follow this