• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jay205gtx

Racing Harnesses

Guest jay205gtx

I will very shortly be getting some cobra monaco bucket seats in blue. I have taken out my rear seat and ive decided that i want some harnesses but i don't really know what to look for!What is the best out of 3 and 4 point harnesses?also am i rite in assuming that they bolt into the rear seat belts mounts, the front ones where the belt rail is at the doors and where the seatbelt clip is?or are there other ways of securing the harnesses?any useful help wud be much appreciated as i don't really have much of an idea?

cheers, jay

neil54

ive got a sabelt belt in my 205 with standard seats ill post pics tomorrow

205turbo

safety devices do some nice belts.

i got there 4 point belts and they are the mutts nutts

Guest particleastro

I have Sparco three point harnesses, they look cool and get a good reaction from passengers (also have a tendency to hug the chest, if you see what I mean lads). Three point harnesses are easier to fit coz' like you say they just bolt right into the rear seatbelt mounts. I think any more and it'll be a little bit o' a nightmare to fit em, unless of course you have a roll cage, in which case...

Gary

How much do these go for,i wouldnt mind a set in mine :D:D:D

Gary

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Guest chownr

For general day to day road use I would say 3 point harnesses are more than adequate, unless you want more of a WRC look. I would say there arent that much between manufacturers but bought Luke harnesses myself. As for fitting depends whether you get bolt in harnesses or clip in harnesses. Bolt in can use existing mounting points but if there isnt anywhere on the seat frames you might have to drill a hole in the tunnel and use a backing plate. If you buy clip-in harnesses youll need eye bolts and a backing plate - still use the mounting point for rear belts and front belt in sill but again need to install an eye bolt and backing plate in tunnel area. There are usually idiot proof instructions with the belts anyway or look for advice in the MSA bluebook

Rich

Guest jay205gtx

thanks for the advice guys!so three point harnesses sound about the best option then.i wouldnt mind getting a roll cage in the future but for now i think i will go for the three points then!cheers for the advice.

jay

Guest Admin

I quite like my OMP 4 Point Racing Harnesses, They go well with the seats :D

andyycar2.jpg

Doof

Good to see you just laquered the cage, looks really good.

Guest Admin

LMAO, Doof that pic is months old, I decided to spray the cage black actually, once i've finished rubbing it down, I did a test patch and it looks quite smart wheras I didn't like the laquer look.

Guest jay205gtx

AndyY - what mounting points have you used to secure your harnesses in the rear?Have you used existing points or have you drilled and plated new points?i want to use existing points for mine not to keen on drilling holes everywhere!Also is that a custom cage that youve got there or did you buy it?looks dead smart not to over the top or anything.

jay

Guest sorrentogreen205

I really like that way you have crossed the harnesses over. On mine i have got them going as normal but that way looks alot nicer!

My harnesses are the sabelt 4 point clubman ones and i very impressed with them. I would defo have another pair of these.

Steve.

edit: jay they go into the normal seat belt holes. Dead easy!

Edited by sorrentogreen205

Guest jay205gtx

yeah the harnesses do look good crossed over!cheers for the help sorrento!

jay

Eddy5

Clipped in harnesses are the way to go.

Put the eye bolts in the rear into the bolts for the rear seat belt mountings. THe threads are the same

The front mountings depend on your seat mounting.

I've put one where the seat belt wire loop bolts to the sill, the other I had to drill the exhaust tunnel and put a threaded plate under it to satisfy the scrutineer as he wasn't happy with me mounting the other eye bolt to the aluminium brakets the seat were mounted on.

If you've got steel seat mounting brakets then you may be OK.

Does that make any sense? :D

Guest jay205gtx

yeah that sounds like it makes sense!have you got n e pictures of your interior?becuase after ive got my seats i'm looking at getting a cage and want to seee what a few look like!?if you could it would be much appreciated!

jay

Guest Admin

I've done the same as Eddy, welded two plates in for the centre ones to hold too.

My seats are bolted to the floor but if you were using the 205 Sliders with them then you could bolt it into there and as long as your not using it on the rack then it should be okay.

I'll try to get a pic of mine once the cage is painted and refitted and my dash board is finished (adding in some extra dials for boost etc) I should be getting close to the racing look then!!

The cage is the OMP one that Eddy has, it's a c*nt mutherf***er to fit but at £200 inc vat from Demon Tweeks great value for money, makes the car feel much more solid in my opinion.

Guest sorrentogreen205

Yes i do agree with the clipped in eye bolt harnesses being better, i wish i had got them instead but i just didnt realise at the time. Although the ones i have are excellent so im not in no hurry to change. As i am running the standard seats its all ok but i was wondering what would be the way to bolt them in if i got bucket seats.

Andy is that price for the full cage or just the rear section?

Steve.

Doof

Steve, that price is for the whole cage, might even include the doorbars actually. Like andy said its a bitch to fit but for the price you cant go wrong, its FIA approved and it does stiffen the car up so much!

Edit: theres plenty of pics of our cage on our website if anyone wants to have a gander http://t3k.users.btopenworld.com

Edited by Doof

Guest Bigj
What is the best out of 3 and 4 point harnesses?also am i rite in assuming that they bolt into the rear seat belts mounts,

I'm currently using Sabelt 6 points in the rally car but I've used most makes over the years

Luke and OMP are good too as are all the *big* names really

I would steer clear of Securon if I were you.

If you're choosing between 3 and 4 point I would go for the 4 point harness. They can use your existing mounts usually without a problem.

My personal preferance is for 5 or 6 points beacus the extra fixing holds the lap starp down so that when you tighten the shoulder straps really tight the waist strap does not pull up.

If its a road car then no doubt 3 0r 4 points will suffice

John

Eddy5

jay205gtx - Have a look at my site (Link in my sig) for pics of the rollcage etc. If you need more specific ones, I can e-mail them to you.

205turbo

i wanted to keep my harness level so i bought some 2" round washers and welded the under the car and then drilled them. I used ni-lock nuts to bolt the eyelits in

cage0012.JPG

Sign in to follow this