• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Engine Rebuild Advice,

Atari Boy

I am about to start rebuilding my 1900 8 valve engine.

In the Haynes manual it suggests ‘where a sump spacer plate is fitted, apply a coat of suitable silicon sealant to the upper plate surface’.

Can anyone suggest the best silicon sealant to use?

Thanks

Jonny

309PUG

The best stuff to use is called RTV sealant well I think thats what it's called and is black in colour.

Chris

Anthony
The best stuff to use is called RTV sealant well I think thats what it's called and is black in colour.

That's what I use sealing sumps, and it also works well for most surfaces instead of the usual paper gasket.

Atari Boy

Okay thanks chaps.

philfingers

I use hylomar Blue and use a thin model makers brush to apply it so you don't put too much on. Apply to the bolts too to stops leaks through them

Rob_the_Sparky

FYI: RTV stands for "Room Temperature Vulcanisation" and is a general term that encompasses all silicone type sealers so I rather doubt that is going to help you search!

Also of interest, avoid Actyl based silicone sealers as they give off acetic acid as they cure. You might be OK with one of these in small quantities but probably best to avoid them if you can.

Rob

Rom

I used Wynns RTV stuff when i built mine. And the sump seeped B)

I done it again recently using Toyota RTV stuff. Its what we use to assembly 90% of Toyota mechanical stuff. They knock it out at about £40 a tube :) But its bloody good, and i dont pay !

Pob
I used Wynns RTV stuff when i built mine. And the sump seeped B)

I done it again recently using Toyota RTV stuff. Its what we use to assembly 90% of Toyota mechanical stuff. They knock it out at about £40 a tube :) But its bloody good, and i dont pay !

Wynns produce a product called Gasket Maker, Its the same as the product of got from Ford for sealing sumps. Sets in 15 mins and work very well, seals anything. £7 from the motorfactors

Dan

Mikey S
I use hylomar Blue and use a thin model makers brush to apply it so you don't put too much on. Apply to the bolts too to stops leaks through them

hylomar blue is very good. i use it for reassembling camboxs on k series engines. done loads and never had a leak.

welshpug

I've used Hylomar blue, feels a bit more runny than the Wurth stuff but still quite good, cheap too!

Best stuff I've used was some Nissan sealant, orangey colour to it, closer to the Wurth RTV than Hylomar Blue stuff but a better colour (wurth stuff is black so finding leaks in black oil isn't easy) bloomin expensive IIRC, but it was a Skyline I was helping to rebuild.

Sign in to follow this