• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest R3GG

Diesel Intercoolers

Guest R3GG

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to fit the top mounted intercooler from an XUD9 engine (405, 306 etc) to a XUD7 (STDT, DTurbo)? I know this has been discussed before but I haven't been able to find the topic.

I've always thought there would be issues getting the bonnet closed until I saw this gti with an XUD9 engine on ebay:

68fd_1.JPG

I'm guessing the whole inlet manifold would need to be changed and that it's not a straight swap?

Edited by R3GG

welshpug

yep the inlet needs changing over, though I would doubt that there's enough airflow over that intercooler as it is situated there as there isnt any sort of ducting like the 306 zx and 405 have let alone the space to install it.

much better to go straight for the front mounted intercooler option, saves changing the inlet manifold.

Henry Yorke

For the XU7D it is easy to add an intercooler. Just go and look on a Rover 418 Turbo diesel! Same engine, with an intercooler as standard!

Guest R3GG

I think the 205 in that pic had a bonnet scoop so the airflow was probably ok. I'd rather not swap the inlet if i can avoid it so the Rover option sounds like the way forward. Need to do a bit more research! :rolleyes:

All Praise The GTI

sorry to hijack but while we are on the subject anyone know an easy or the best way to fit an FMIC to a 306 dturbo?

welshpug

checkout www.club-306.com LOADS of information on there :rolleyes: (my brother is a mod on there and I know John Blackmore :blush: )

All Praise The GTI

cheers mate will do. think i did look before but had trouble finding an actual guide

gonna be a nightmare either way as the 306 has A/C :rolleyes:

welshpug

aah right, some slimline aftermarket fans will help massively as the o.e ones are massive, they can still be wires up exactly the saem but they give so much more room to play with.

Guest R3GG

So i reckon this is what i'm looking for. I'd love to get my hands on one and see how it might fit - so if anyone has one to hand let me know! Am I right in thinking the actual intercooler is front mounted?

3878.jpg

Rob Turbo

In that photo the intercooler is the silver thing next to the drivers side headlight, so yeah, it's front mounted!

Ryan

What about fitting a T16-style chargecooler (you can get them from XM turbo diesels) and using a motorcycle rad and an electric water pump?

Pob
What about fitting a T16-style chargecooler (you can get them from XM turbo diesels) and using a motorcycle rad and an electric water pump?

If you want a front mounted intercooler either the 2WD Cosworth or if you want a thicker core 4WD version is a good option. You can also get the 2WD with a charge cooler. You can buy the pipework from eBay that has more than enough to do the job, cost around £70 for the piping and you can pick the cooler up pretty cheap.

Have a word with DTORU, he has a very quick diesel with a RS500 Intercooler.

Dan

Guest R3GG
In that photo the intercooler is the silver thing next to the drivers side headlight, so yeah, it's front mounted!

Just checking B) I thought for a moment it might be on the top like the 1.9 diesels. I have read a bit about chargecoolers and it's definitely an option. The xud7 is really shoe horned into the engine bay. If i was going to fit an intercooler i would want to avoid it showing from the outside of the car, so it would have to fit somewhere inside - where it will get enough cold air to work properly. The one in the picture does look pretty small!

If you want a front mounted intercooler either the 2WD Cosworth or if you want a thicker core 4WD version is a good option. You can also get the 2WD with a charge cooler. You can buy the pipework from eBay that has more than enough to do the job, cost around £70 for the piping and you can pick the cooler up pretty cheap.

Have a word with DTORU, he has a very quick diesel with a RS500 Intercooler.

Dan

That sounds promising, I'll see if i can get in touch :) It would be good to make a guide of some sort, i'm sure this question will come up again :)

Thanks for the ideas!

Edited by R3GG

Sign in to follow this