• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ants1974

Mi16 Wont Rev

ants1974

My car starts perfectly but wont rev over 2500, just dies like the spark has been cut. Tried AFM and CTS, Fuel pressure seems ok but i havent tested it, had a new coil,new crank sensor (to sort earlier problem)No air leaks apparent at the manifold. I'm lost. Please help. Bear in mind this engine has been running since this morning as i've only just finished wiring/piping etc.

ORB

ignition amp??

is it timed up correctly??

taylorspug

Try ignition amp first, maybe the throttle position sensor and also the wiring to the AFM (pin it back to the relevant places using a multimeter to check continuity, presume you have a loom wiring diagram?)

lee-bg

It may sound stupid. but remove air filter so that you can look at the AFM flap...and if possible remove AFM CAP and loook the needle that moves there on a track.

then push the throttle body open so that i REVs, does the Flap move at all ? and will it REV that way or same problem ?

ants1974

I checked the AFM, it moves fine, if i move it manually it makes a difference to the running, i have already tried another one. I got an ignition module today, a brand new one and it doesnt even fire, i think i'm just unlucky. Try again tomorrow.

lee-bg

what do u mean by 'if i move it manually' ? The AFM or the Throttle cable ?

ants1974

stick my finger in and move the flap, the flap moves as it should with the engine running.

j_turnell

Have you checked crank sensor, also try swapping the ecu temp.

ants1974

It would seem the gti and mi16 wiring are completely different, looks like the loom i got was wired for the gti ignition amp, anyone know which wires i swap around on the ignition amp?

ants1974

Ignore that last post, they gave me the wrong amplifier. Fitted new amplifier today, exactly the same. Also changed fuel pressure regulator and tps, no difference. Any more suggestions?

ORB

fuel pump relay?

coil?

ht leads?

ants1974

Trying an ecu tomorrow, had a new coil and i've bridged the fuel pump relay and nothing makes a difference. I'm lost. I have 3 fault codes but no idea what they mean, 91,92,93

Stu

I had a similar problem with a Rover, the TPS had gone down on it, so id start there.

Its dead easy to check, if its adjusted right it should 'click' just as the throttle opens, have you got a multimeter?

ants1974

changed that yesterday, still no luck

ants1974

I think i may have found the problem. The AFM loses its feed voltage when the engine is running, as i have now replaced the ecu i know it cant be that. Must be a loom problem. I have already checked the wiring, must happen under load. If i dont fix it tomorrow i have a nearly finished mi16 turbo 205 for sale.

danpug

Don't give up just yet after you've come so far, unless you want to sell it cheap to me! :)

ants1974

can anyone tell me why i have only 2 volts at pin 3 of the afm? i should have 5 and i've checked the wiring to the ecu.

ants1974

I dont know if any of you have looked at my website, but when i bought this engine (on ebay) it was listed as engine/loom/ecu and ancillaries, but the W^&%&R who sold it me had sold the ecu and loom. I have just realised today that he didnt tell me "Sorry mate i sold the airflow meter and substituted it with this 205gti one which is completely different". If he had said that in the first place i wouldnt have spent 2 weeks and 200quid trying to fix something that didnt need fixing. Never mind, i'll tell you tomorrow if it runs with the correct AFM on it. :)

welshpug

arsebiscits!

danpug

I'm really starting to get sick of ebay, sooooooooo many muppets on it.

ants1974

Runs perfect. There's a lesson here, always check you have the correct parts and some goon hasnt tried to rip you off. Dont use PUGPARTS205 or PUGPARTS on ebay!

Edited by ants1974

Sign in to follow this