• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Radiators

wardy18

Ok so my new hillclimb 205 will be here in 2 weeks so i need to finalise the spec for the engine build

It currently runs a standard rad which has been lowered to lower teh centre of gravity BUT i wanna replace this for somethin alot smaller as i wanna open the front grill right up and create a large air intake duct straight to the webers so to maximise their performance and get nice cold air in and no engine warm air.

The car is purely a hillclimb car and so wont be run for very long amounts of time only for the engine warm and then a run up the hill which means no holds up at traffic lights etc etc

I would still need to run a cooling fan to keep it at the optimum temperature but does anyone know the smallest rad i can fit which would suit my requirements, i will aventually like to fit a Radtec radiator which is the perfect size but these are around £300 which my budget cant afford at the moment, does anyone know an alternative that i can fit?! doesnt have to be less in width just less in height even to allow the extra space above it

thanx

simon

welshpug

IIRC a BX radiator is shorter but just as wide.

danpug

Any idea how much shorter?

Ryan

No the BX is the other way round - narrower, but just as tall.

The Nissens catalogue at http://www.nissens.dk/uk/index.htm lists all the core sizes (but not the overall rad size). The Peugeot 104 rad looks to be about 50-60mm shorter, but a similar width, and has the pipes in the right place. There are probably a few others listed on there that would fit too...

Edited by Ryan

welshpug

that's the site I just found trying to work out why someone mentioned BX Ryan!

the valeo site listed an overall size but I cant find where the catalogue is...

wardy18

50 to 60 shorter sounds good but could still do with more, has anyone ever found a great spot to relocate the 205 rad so to free up a little space at the front?!

ill have to measure how much space this 104 rad will gain me but it must be quite easy to lower it even more cause the rad only sits on a flimsy bar that fits in the same sort of position as the slam panel just at the bottom and alot smaller so id assume would be easy to cut out and bracket so it sits lower (which i think has already been done to this race ready rolling chassis im pickin up)

ill look into different sizes of the peugeot rads expecially the 104's

thanx for the quick info

welshpug

loads of people have lowered the standard radiator by making brackets, have you tried this?

pug_ham

The BX radiator I've just scrapped was the same size as one form a 405 SRi which I have scrapped at the same time so as tall if not slightly taller than the 205 & overall wider.

The core might be shorter but they include the expansion tank so the are wider than the 205 one.

Graham.

jackherer
The BX radiator I've just scrapped was the same size as one form a 405 SRi which I have scrapped at the same time so as tall if not slightly taller than the 205 & overall wider.

The core might be shorter but they include the expansion tank so the are wider than the 205 one.

Graham.

That must be an 8v rad. The 16v BX rads don't have an integral expansion tank and they are smaller to allow them to be mounted much further forward (Citroen faced the same rad clearance issues as 205 owners do when doing Mi16 swaps :))

philfingers

I don't think I'd consider moving the rad to another place. You'll add more weight with the coolant in the pipes for the longer pipe run I'm sure than you'll save.

You'll be moving the battery out of the engine bay too I guess. Large gains there with respec to getting the weight into the middle of the car

engine killer
No the BX is the other way round - narrower, but just as tall.

The Nissens catalogue at http://www.nissens.dk/uk/index.htm lists all the core sizes (but not the overall rad size). The Peugeot 104 rad looks to be about 50-60mm shorter, but a similar width, and has the pipes in the right place. There are probably a few others listed on there that would fit too...

I have noticed the radiator for non air-conditioning model is 1300.K5, do you know is there any difference between the one for air-conditionaing model 1300.K6 and 1300.K5?

thanks.

rescue dude

I use a rad and fan from a diesel 205 which is not only not as wide as my standard 8valve rad it is aluminium.

The fan motor is considerably lighter too.

cyman

speak to your local serck marston dealers, they can make you a special double or triple core rad .

i have found prices to be good in the past.

wardy18

sounds like its gettin to the sort of price where i may aswel go straight to Radtec and buy their much smaller performance alloy rad

http://www.radtec.co.uk/gallery.php?category=1

check them out, especially for the 205 with carbs/tb's but at a price, spose i get VAT off so not as bad, lookin at £272 ex VAT

Dj_mini

I have the radtec item it works a treat holds great temp even at high revs the only down side is the extra weight of the extra water you need as its a twin core :rolleyes:

That price on there website is plus vat mind.

Piccy of mine just to show the extra clearance it gives.

today002.jpg

returnofjim

mmm im lovin that!!

pug_ham
That must be an 8v rad.

It was, it came from the TRi estate I got as my original engine donor for my 8v. (engine done ~25k since factory recondition) :rolleyes:

I use a rad and fan from a diesel 205 which is not only not as wide as my standard 8valve rad it is aluminium.

The fan motor is considerably lighter too.

Diesel rads are the same as the 205 GTi rad & usually the diesel has twin fans.

Graham.

wardy18

that look fantastic mate, uve done very well and looks exactly what i have planned

whats the smaller rad above?!

Daz_C
That price on there website is plus vat mind.

If anyones interested in one of these I can get a decent discount off the list price seeing as I had this Rad designed by Radtec for my 205.

The Rad works a treat and there service is top notch.

wardy18

sounds good to me mate, how much u reckon u can get off?!

Daz_C
sounds good to me mate, how much u reckon u can get off?!

It depends how many I order at a time to be honest.

If your Vat exempt then you would be able to get it vat free ? or do you have to claim it back ?

I haven't bought one for a while and can't remember how much the last one was. I'll give them a bell monday and let you know.

mos

i run one of the radtec rads

daz c sorted it out for me with a good discount

i would recommend takinh him up on his offer

mine is ideal for running bodies and made a big difference to the way the car felt when driven in traffic as the airflow is cleaner into the bodies as the radtec is only as tall the first bar on the radiator grill

mark

wardy18

yeh i can get 17 1/2 % of the price straight away as long as they are VAT Registered which i would assume they were, if you can get more than that then go for it mate

let me know what they say

this rad is definitely the way to go by the sounds of it

Daz_C

You have to add 17.5% to the price shown for vat. As it says on the page vat and postage is excluded.

PLEASE USE OUR ORDER FORM ON THE CONTACT PAGE STATING PRODUCT CODE WE WILL CONTACT YOU FOR PAYMENT DETAILS AND POSTAGE COSTS. ALL PRICES EXCLUDE VAT AND POSTAGE

I'll get you a price mate and pm you.

wardy18

ah right ok didnt see that

yeh if you could mate that be great thanx

simon

Sign in to follow this