• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

1.6 Cti Thermostat Original Opens 82 Degrees

lagonda

Sure I've seen something about merits of different thermostat opening temperatures, done a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Did query setting with guy at GSF, but he said 89 degree was all they stocked now.

So, any thoughts, anyone?! At present the car runs on the cool side & I suspect the present stat opens too soon, something like 70 degrees. 89 degrees will mean more heat from the heater, but might remove the margin I have for delaying overheating when stuck in traffic.

Anthony

89 degrees is fine, although I usually use 82 degree 'stats as a matter of course

pug_ham

If anything 89' is the more common stat fitted to most pugs now, I know I've got more 89' stats than 82' ones from engines I've stripped.

The opening temp of the thermostat won't make any difference to your car overheating in traffic imo, just the car will run slightly warmer & you'll be able to have a toastier cabin temp. :lol:

Do your cooling fans work?

I run mine with an 82' stat with no problem even over winter. It just takes longer for oil temp to start indicating during the colder months. (oil water heat exchanger)

Graham.

lagonda

Hi Graham,

Yes, the cooling fan works, on both settings NOW ... if I'd realised there were two speeds it might have saved blowing my headgasket!

Laurence

Sign in to follow this