• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Why Do Gasket Sets Vary In Price So Much?

Atari Boy

Have I missed something?

I spoke to three suppliers today to get prices for a head gasket set and head bolts.

Marshall Peugeot (main dealer)

Valve gasket set £63

Head gasket £22

Head bolts £4.79 (each)

Euro Parts

Gasket set £42

Head bolts £19

Unipart

Gasket set £28

Head bolts £15

All prices exclude VAT. Should there be such a difference in price, all companies claim to offer a complete gasket set? I used a Unipart set last time and so far no problems so I at £20 less than the next cheapest it is bit of a no brainer, isn’t it? Am I showing pikey tendencies :) – help!

edthedrummer

I think its because some of the pattern parts, bought from the likes of uni-part and euro parts have a tendency to not be as good quality as manufacture originals. oil seals will leak for instance.

boldy205

probabaly because its main stealers prices which are, in this case higher than someone like unipart. I found Quantoc very helpfull, infact the only people (including Pug themselves) who understood the fact that i had a differanrt engine in my car to standard! Had a set of FAI (think thats right) gaskets and all seemed ok!

mattmk1

FAI and Payen gaskets are both very good. If its a price for an 8V gasket set you've been getting, be careful because a lot of the gasket sets dont include the head gasket itself. So this is usually an extra £20 or so on its own.

Rom

Its the same with everything. You get what you pay for.

Cheap prices generally mean cheap s*it. But that doesnt mean you have to buy main dealer. Just get OE spec parts, as obviously Peugeot didnt make thier own gaskets. So use the same manufacturer, and steer clear of the mickey mouse ones.

A head set isnt something id try and save a few quid on tbh. Not a simple part to replace if it fails.

As said, Payen and FAI are good quality. And be careful whats included, as some wont come with head gaskets.

large

A bit off the point but I used to work in a place that made the engine mounts for jag. We also did the paten spares for uni-part. Same metal same rubber same tool in the same machine.

Atari Boy

Okay, so it seems I am pikier that I thought, dam.

Can anyone recomend a non main dealer suppier that sells decent kit in or around Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds or Ipswich?

thanks

Jonny

jackherer

Matt @ QEP is a good bet for gaskets etc IMO. His prices are good and more importantly he will sell you the right parts first time cos he knows these engines unlike GSF etc or even main dealers.

welshpug

ECP generally do 2 choices on most parts, i.e replacement or o.e quality. GSF often have similar choices,

I cant fault my local-ish GSF branch or main dealer for product knowledge, but then how can you with 2 parts men with 55 years experience of Peugeot parts between them!

ECP are a bit hit and miss, one guy asked what an Mi16 (405) was and wether it was diesel, when it was parked in front of the glass doors :P

Atari Boy

I will speak to QEP, is there a discount?

Sign in to follow this