• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpug

Decompression Plates

danpug

I'm reading mixed views on these, can anybody who actually knows whether they are any good not comment please? Dp engineering sell them so i can't really see them being a bodge?

cybernck

was just going to say DP Engineering have used them to great success and no problems with them :wacko:.

danpug

I keep reading posts on other sites about them being a bodge and causing an engine to lose its squish area? It seems like the best value way to go but i'm still unsure. Anybody know of any other companies that sell them?

M3Evo

Wouldn't use a thicker gasket as a means of lower the CR of an engine myself for the reasons of squish you mention, but as you say other people have had no problems.

Be interesting to see whether an engine with a set of low comp pistons would tolerate less fuel/more advance than one with a decomp plate.

danpug

What problems exactly could you have?

projectpug

At the end of the day there a cheap fix for lowering the compression. I wouldnt use one but thats because i like to do something properly or not at all, in other words get low compression pistons.

danpug

But what exactly makes them a cheap fix? What are the results of losing some of the squish area?

brianthemagical

less squish. the squish area is the periphery of the piston crown that is parallel with the head. it quenches the mixture due to high surface to volume ratios, meaning that as the cc heats up, potentially casuing det, the areas furthest fromt he s/p don't over heat. they can also add turbulence and swirl, as well as providing pressure waves around the cc to aid flame propogation for a few reasons.

danpug

Would dished/machined pistons not have a similar effect?

Sandy

The best value way for your plan is a 405 SRi head.

B1ack_Mi16

Talking about squish, that's the reason I would never concider buying a standard T16 engine for more than just silly money.

On the 405 T16 engine the top of pistons sits 5mm down the bore @ TDC..

So for example using decompressionplate and double headgaskets on an S16 engine will give you the equivalent of a T16 engine just lots cheaper.

Still not my prefered way of building engines. Better get some proper pistons for the job, or as sandy mentions, a head that does the same job :wacko:

steve@cornwall
The best value way for your plan is a 405 SRi head.

Is this the same engine as in the ZX 1.9i? If so there's one in a yard rather local to you, Dan

danpug

Theres a 405 sri in drews, still complete.

Anthony
Is this the same engine as in the ZX 1.9i? If so there's one in a yard rather local to you, Dan

No it's not - the ZX 1.9 engine is basically a 1.9 GTi engine with Motronic M3.1 management (XU9JA/L engine code IIRC)

405 SRi engine is a completely different head with a larger chamber size and downdraft inlet ports that don't have the sharp bend like the GTi head, and uses a different inlet manifold that looks vaguely similar to a Mi16 one. Was used on 405 1.9 injection (SRi and GRi) and BX GTi 8v's, the earlier engines having Jetronic, the later ones Motronic M3.1. XU9J2 is the engine code IIRC.

gti_al
Talking about squish, that's the reason I would never concider buying a standard T16 engine for more than just silly money.

On the 405 T16 engine the top of pistons sits 5mm down the bore @ TDC..

So for example using decompressionplate and double headgaskets on an S16 engine will give you the equivalent of a T16 engine just lots cheaper.

Still not my prefered way of building engines. Better get some proper pistons for the job, or as sandy mentions, a head that does the same job :)

I think there is more to it than that. I had a brief conversation with magic about it recently, and he swears by the T16 and its tunability. He said every time he has tried or seen others do it other ways they have not worked that well.

That said, i think his standards are insanely high

Edited by gti_al

danpug

I'm going to put an sri head on a 1.8 bottom end so no need for a plate now. Thanks for the info.

Sign in to follow this