• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Do I Have Everything I Need...

Atari Boy

I am about to convert my 1.6 to a 1.9. I have read the guide on the main website but I want to check that I have everything I need

I have the following:

1.9 bottom end and head

1.9 AFM

1.9 Bosch ECU

I know I still need some yellow 1.9 injectors but is there anything else I need?

The guide talks about needing a starter motor, alternator, dizzy and exhaust back box but I have got a decent starter motor etc on my car at the moment and hope just to swap them ever.

I have decided to see how I get on without an oil cooler, I can always add a Mocal one at a later date, I am also going to stick with my 1.6 box, is sounds as though it could add some extra fun to things.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Jonny

Edited by Atari Boy

welshpug

1.9 Dizzy and injectors are the only items you need bar the AFM and ECU, they will make quite a difference.

starter, alternator and exhaust are all usable on the 1.9 with no difficulties whatsoever.

Guest Eurotrash

Just wondering is there any difference between the 1.6 and 1.9 pistons?

Edited by Eurotrash

welshpug

yes, taller and a different crown IIRC, 1.6 pistons in a 1.9 is a route to a higher compression cheaply.

Atari Boy

Okay great, bar the injectors I have everything.

On a side topic, haynes reccomends that new bolts are used when refitting the flywheel, is this true?

welshpug

yeah, its recommended to replace quite a few nuts and bolts when working on cars, especially wishbone bolts and flywheel bolts etc, as well as Nyloc nuts obviously.

but you can get away with it if you are careful to clean the threads and threadlock them, then do them up with a torque wrench.

the last thing you want is a loose pressure plate or flywheel :huh:

James_R

Johnny, I'd leave the 1.6 management on, you'll get a higher rev limit that way :rolleyes: plus less to swap.

Just bolt all the 1.6 kit on to the 1.9 block and head, and definately use the 1.6 flywheel (unless you got a lightened one done)

have a few cars running about like this, no fuelling problems and go like stink.

Atari Boy

A curve ball from James – sounds interesting though, and less to do.

Are there any disadvantages of this route?

So I would use my 1.6 dizzy, AFM and injectors then?

Edited by Atari Boy

welshpug

IMO that's just silly/lazy, why do you need a higher rev limit on a standard engine??

the 1.9 runs out of puff at 6k so why rev it to 6.6?

James_R

Yep you just use all the stuff you have now and pop the head and block in, simple (can use th einlet and stuff if it's still on, but afm injectors etc.. all the 1.6 stuff :wacko:

Higher rev limit gives you more room for manovure on track when you're at the top of a gear and need it top last that little bit longer, can't really change gear mid exit or you'll be in the hedges, mate it with a 1.6 box and you'll soon be out of rev's at the ring with a std 1.9 rev limit (less you snip the diode) Esp down foxhole I was having to save 500rpm so I had rev's left out the apex up the hill.

ashley peddle

jonny - i think i have an inlet with injectors/throttle body attached, il take a look for you :wacko:

and the flywheel thats on the blown hg engine is a 1.6 item :lol:

Atari Boy

Ash

I am sorted now, Anthony has sorted me out.

Good news about the flywheel though, thanks. :wacko:

ashley peddle

no worries :) gimmie a shout if you need anything else that i forgot to put in that box :)

Sign in to follow this